Diy kimber interconnect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any evidence to back up this statement?
I always understood that weaving cables could reduce RF pick-up.
I am interested as I almost always weave my cables into a braid.
It also very convenient as the leads stay in one piece and don't need fixing together to stop them separating.

Yes twisted pairs were first discovered in 1878 or there abouts by Oliver Heaviside so there has been many years of research on this... and why all our internet, USB etc is twisted pair these days.

stvnharr said:
You recommend using coax cable but cannot seem to recommend anything. Surely you can do better than that.
I regard coax as a commodity item, so I don't have a preference for brand or shop and it is a long time since I bought an audio cable.

I would give a similar answer about capacitors: I might suggest a dielectric but not a brand or shop.

A 75R co-ax, BUT go for one with a good 100% screen with copper braid to keep the screen resistance low, this will help limit the chance of a low frequency ground loop being created with the systems protective earth returns.

Thanks for the reply.
This sounds to me like RG-6 or RG-59 cable, from the local hardware or electronics store, that is normally used in television antenna wires. Not long ago I used some to get better television reception when digital broadcasting came about.
I don't know why one would want to use it for an audio interconnect. Sure it will work if you get each end connected properly. But it's pretty minimum. It only has a single layer of braid which you have to use for the return. At least the Blue Jeans cable has a double braid so the outer one can be a proper shield.

The very first diyaudio project that I ever did was nearly 25 years ago and it was the construction of a proper shielded interconnect. It came in a kit with all parts included. The final product had a twisted pair for carrier and return with a couple insulation layber around the cable and then a copper shield over that. And it had nice Cardas rca connectors on the ends. I took a lot of care in construction and it came out well. I still have it somewhere but haven't seen it for a long time. I should try to find it and use it again.

Last edited:
Normal commercial quality coax is a proper shielded interconnect. It is not "minimum"; for that you have to go to various 'hi-end' or DIY concoctions with no shielding and various types of braiding.

Perplexing comments to say the least. But if you are happy with "Normal commercial quality coax", in other words RG-6 or RG-59m ir the UK equivalent, from the local hardware store, for your interconnects, then so be it. If you are referring to something else, then say it.

Last edited:
Audio has been so seriously infected with false memes that many people now find the truth "perplexing". I can remember several times over the past few years on this forum when a newbie has been astonished to find that replacing his expensive (or DIY) audiophile interconnects with the freebie cable which came in the box with his CD player got rid of hum and interference so he could just listen to the music. Such a freebie will be significantly worse than a decent coax due to poor shield coverage and highish shield resistance, yet it still works fine in most systems.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply.
This sounds to me like RG-6 or RG-59 cable, from the local hardware or electronics store, that is normally used in television antenna wires. Not long ago I used some to get better television reception when digital broadcasting came about.
I don't know why one would want to use it for an audio interconnect. Sure it will work if you get each end connected properly. But it's pretty minimum. It only has a single layer of braid which you have to use for the return. At least the Blue Jeans cable has a double braid so the outer one can be a proper shield.

RG 6 is foil and braid, so will work well. If worried you can get RG6 quad shield. RG 59 is only braid, but coverage is pretty good on that. Both should work as well as anything else for single-ended interconnects. But they are not the most flexible due to the solid core. Van Damme etc do more flexible cables for around £1 per metre which also do the job.

But there is rarely any justification for spending more than £1 per metre on an interconnect cable.

Jean-Claude Van Damme or some imposter?
PBJ Kimbers were Good affordable cables.
Easily Diy'd if wanting a 10$ IC.

Erm Andrew the third wire is only connected at one end it acts as the shield Surprised (or Perhaps Not ;) by your question.

Coax's as interconnects can be Problematic. But Hey! whatever blows yer Jets. It's just some Iffy music recording after all.

Audio has been so seriously infected with false memes that many people now find the truth "perplexing". I can remember several times over the past few years on this forum when a newbie has been astonished to find that replacing his expensive (or DIY) audiophile interconnects with the freebie cable which came in the box with his CD player got rid of hum and interference so he could just listen to the music. Such a freebie will be significantly worse than a decent coax due to poor shield coverage and highish shield resistance, yet it still works fine in most systems.

Dave,
Nice rant. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
You didn't say anything in your post that I called "perplexing". You just rambled on and on in your usual fashion about nothing.
The stuff you recommend is the "stiffy" stuff mentioned by Billshurv. I called it minimum because it's pretty easy to do something better. And you've gotten yourself all upset over that. Sorry to upset you so much.

I might add that there is no real reason that antenna wire would not work okay as an IC. It's just that the stuff here is the "stiffy" stuff and hard to work with. I've noted a couple praises for stuff called Van Damme, which is totally unknown. It must be a brand name or something. And I did ask you about recommendations, and you passed on that.

Nevertheless, this is getting far away from the OP wanting suggestions for using some spare wire to make an IC.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.