Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Diy kimber interconnect
Diy kimber interconnect
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2017, 12:06 PM   #131
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
RFI can enter your system through audio cables, but unless it is particularly strong, ordinarily does not present a noise control issue."
I think that understates the EMI problem.

That's why I repeatedly have to remind many dozens of Members to use LOW LOOP AREA in their wiring and terminations. Why I have had to remind Members that the LONG wire from the interwinding screen must not be taken via a high inductance connection back to the mains Input Earthing point. Make it very short to reduce the inductance and turn the toroid upside down to allow it to be even shorter. Tie the very short lead to the enclosure at it's exit from the insulation.

Last edited by AndrewT; 18th June 2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 18th June 2017, 03:03 PM   #132
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
RFI can enter your system through audio cables, but unless it is particularly strong, ordinarily does not present a noise control issue.
That is almost a true statement. The snag is that nowadays it is not unusual to have strong RF around within homes, as most people walk around with a radio transmitter in their pocket - this produces RF from time to time even when it is not being used.
Old 19th June 2017, 08:55 AM   #133
bequerel is offline bequerel  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bequerel View Post
No, silver is second to copper.
Should have written "copper is second to silver".
Old 17th July 2017, 11:56 PM   #134
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dka View Post
Hi, have some spare kimber kable 8tc. Would like to construct diy interconnect with rca connectors. Wondering what is best geometry to use?
3 wire braid (2 ground, 1 hot), 4 wire braid (2 ground, 2 hot), twisted pair?
System is already a bit lean, so want to preserve bass and mid range sonics. Any suggestions? thanks in advance
Hi DKA,
So what have you decided to do?
Old 19th July 2017, 01:07 PM   #135
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

In a seizure of insanity, I've bought a pair of 4' Kimber PBJ cables about 20 years ago to connect my home-brew tube preamplifier to my tube Stereo power amplifer. It worked well for the money (I've payed about 80 Deutsche Mark for that). This cable featured three braided wires (no litz!) with teflon insulation (at least the claim said this).

Being encouraged, I've decided also to connect my Denon DCD-1500 CD player to my preamp with this kind of cable, but I did it by myself, using the three litz threads of a common 3 x 1mm power cable, braided them and soldered two RCA plugs at each end. It also did it's job.

Getting somewhat rollicking by my experiences, I decided to buy ten metres of 2 x 0.75 mm twin litz cable, soldered two 1/4& phono jacks to it's ends and played my next gig on my active PU bass guitar through that cord. Even that worked flawlessly!

Conclusion: As long as you keep the source impedance low enough, any cable will do, even the cheapest one.

Some years later, I've found a reasonably prized 25 meter coil of very flexible RG58 and good and safe RCA plugs (which sadly aren't available any more). Using these, I did several sets of interconnects which I still use (when I'm not listening through my vintage 1970ies equipment).

Five years ago I sold the Kimber PBJ for EUR 80 on ebay, so at least I did't lose any money :-).

Best regards!

Last edited by Kay Pirinha; 19th July 2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: HTML stuff...
Old 25th July 2017, 10:26 AM   #136
dka is offline dka  Australia
diyAudio Member

i got a bit frustrated with the whole lack of direction thing, and also ran out of time to do the diy kimber interconnect.
i ended up using the Chord Solid II interconnect that i already had. this extended the bass and heightened the treble. but it left a hollow spot on the middle.
so, i then bought new very thick speaker cable from hong kong, and removed the silver coated copper ones i was using. this brought through a bit more of the midrange.
then connected the main speaker cable to the mids rather than the bass terminals of my speakers. this made a very noticeable increase in the mid range that i was lacking.
in between all of this, i used a small amount of the the kimber cable i had (to make the interconnect) to make speaker jumpers to get rid of the stock plates. this further enhanced detail and resolution, and "cleaned up the sound a little.
the result of all of these changes have been getting the closest that i have come to achieving my "optimal sound". its not perfect- it will never be, but im happy with it for the moment. deep controlled bass, evident midrange (so hard to achieve these days) and detailed yet smooth treble.
Old 25th July 2017, 11:02 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
. . . left a hollow spot on the middle.
It is difficult to imagine what type of electrical fault in an interconnect cable could create a mid-frequency suckout. Obviously I have the wrong type of imagination.
Old 25th July 2017, 12:02 PM   #138
dka is offline dka  Australia
diyAudio Member

its a shame that you would post a comment like that...im just letting everyone know of my personal experience with my own system, in the hope that it would assist others who also enjoy this hobby.
you might recall a recent poster actually asked me what the outcome of my initial post was, hence my reply.
unhelpful comments like yours are only self-fulfilling, unhelpful, and serve to turn people away from the forum.
Old 25th July 2017, 12:57 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dka
unhelpful comments like yours are only self-fulfilling, unhelpful, and serve to turn people away from the forum.
Some people might find my comments helpful, and it might attract them to a forum where apparently unphysical beliefs are challenged. You are free to propose a mechanism to explain your results.

I do not question your right to post your findings, so I expect the same freedom to comment on them. That is how this forum works, although newer people are sometimes surprised by this. If you read my comment carefully it is about my own lack of imagination.

There are a few audio forums where subjective results are banned, and many others where physics is effectively banned by constant ridicule. This forum is different.
Old 25th July 2017, 05:51 PM   #140
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the mechanism to explain could be:
repeated experimentation is gradually cleaning up the contact surfaces of the terminals to allow the signal any easier passage.
Now reverse the modifications and listen to the reverse improvements.

Diy kimber interconnectHide this!Advertise here!