How to get this cut

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i just wanted to knows how to get the following cut as i cant seem to figure it out do i set my router to 165mm and use the mid point of the wood as the pivot or am i overlooking something obvious
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• jenzen.png
    jenzen.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 352
It's radius 330mm, not diameter, so there is no 165mm.

You need a circle cutting jig. You can buy it, but that big is expensive. You can make one easily from thin piece of plywood. Drill pivot point at one end, I use 1/8" pivot. The center to center from pivot to router bit is 330mm.

The work piece must be long enough to make this cut before cutting it down to the correct length. Maybe you can figure a way to cut both baffle from one longpiece to save wood. If you don't understand rsvp and I'll draw a picture.

Photo of adjustable commercial tool. Pivot at one end, router that the other end. Yours can be non adjustable. Just drill a new pivot hole for different jobs.

Attachments

• 312274QGQ7L.jpg
    312274QGQ7L.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
It's radius 330mm, not diameter, so there is no 165mm.

You need a circle cutting jig. You can buy it, but that big is expensive. You can make one easily from thin piece of plywood. Drill pivot point at one end, I use 1/8" pivot. The center to center from pivot to router bit is 330mm.

The work piece must be long enough to make this cut before cutting it down to the correct length. Maybe you can figure a way to cut both baffle from one longpiece to save wood. If you don't understand rsvp and I'll draw a picture.

Photo of adjustable commercial tool. Pivot at one end, router that the other end. Yours can be non adjustable. Just drill a new pivot hole for different jobs.

Hi if you could draw a picture that would be great... :)

Thanks for the help

hmm, maybe a lot of sanding?

5 axis CNC would be my first choice :D, but for a hand-bomb, I'd be more inclined to use the router circle jig set up. As you'd need two of these, work piece could start out much longer, and be cut to length after bevel is detailed on the round end. Router table and big-a$$ 45dg bit for chamfer on the radiused end, and table saw for the others.

A 45dg bit with sufficient cutting length to chamfer a full 3/4" thick isn't a tiny thing, and would require at a router with a base plate that might make for a fun job of securing the work piece to bench. If available, I think a router table would make that operation a bit easier/safer.

A 45dg bit with sufficient cutting length to chamfer a full 3/4" thick isn't a tiny thing, and would require at a router with a base plate that might make for a fun job of securing the work piece to bench. If available, I think a router table would make that operation a bit easier/safer.

That is true, you would need about a 2.5" diameter 45 degree router bit, a router table would be ideal taking small passes and making sure to use a fulcrum pin when making the final pass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.