What Wires to Twist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am adding a mono switch to a couple of phono stages and need some opinions. The input and output RCAs are at the back of the enclosure and the mono switch is at the front. So the output from the boards will need to run to the front of the enclosure before heading back to the rear RCAs. The returns could run a much shorter course of a few inches to the output jacks or should they be twisted with it's corresponding positive lead to and from the switch? I also could twist just the wires that go to the switch and back. That would just be the positive leads.
Attached is a rough in of what I've done so far.

CM161218-16312803_1482096804235_zpssvk0zo7i.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Joined 2011
I'm too much a novice to understand how to accomplish that and would it give me
switchable stereo and dual mono?

Run 2 twisted pairs from the board outputs to the switch, and then 2 twisted pairs
from the switch to the stereo output RCA jacks. Each channel's ground goes continuously
all the way (one wire), from the board output ground to the output RCA ground, twisted
with the hot wires along the way. The mono switch is a breakout point for the 2 hot wires.

I can email you a drawing tomorrow if that's still unclear.

Last edited:
Run 2 twisted pairs from the board outputs to the switch, and then 2 twisted pairs
from the switch to the stereo output RCA jacks. Each channel's ground goes continuously
all the way (one wire), from the board ground output to RCA ground, twisted with the
hot wires along the way. The mono switch is a breakout point for the 2 hot wires.

So the ground would parallel the hot all the way, just not broken with the switch if I understand what you are saying. I think I understand. Thanks.

I may try shielded wire as well.

I was laid up for a few days with pneumonia but I'm getting back to my build. Would this form of twisted pair shielded wire work well?
s-l1600.jpg

Or should this be used since the shielding could extend closer to the solder points?
s-l1600.jpg

Where does one tie all the shields to and at one end only or both of each shield?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.