Subwoofer Grill To Match my Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a pair of Infinity 1262w's into sealed enclosures, and would like to try to make a grill for them that mimics the shape of the grill on my JBL L5 speakers. It doesn't look too complex to make a standard shaped grill, but in order to get the curve the same, it may require some trickery.

My first thought was a wood frame like a normal sub, and use some perforated sheet or something to make a curve that will support the grille cloth.

I've attached a photo of some L5's as well as what I am thinking of trying... hopefully it makes sense. The red bit is the perforated metal I was describing.

Anyone have any better/cheaper suggestions to achieving the shape of the JBL mains on my sub grille? Or am I already on the right path? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• L5.jpg
    L5.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 155
  • Grill.jpg
    Grill.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 153
If you start with single pieces of thin MDF to suit dimensions you could then kerf the sections you would like to contour. Once you have the shape you want use ingenuity to hold it while filling in all the cuts with glue and sawdust mixture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDYHca8f4fY

If you plan the cuts well just gluing them should suffice.

Once the glue sets up use those fronts to trace out side templates, cut those out with a jig or band saw and glue them in.

If the top requires plugs youll have to angle the tops closest to contour in order to glue a strips of MDF so they lay flat against your baffles.

After having another look the last step may not be necessary. It looks like the front are at straight 90 degree with the tops.

Last edited:
I'd guess that the fabrication approach would depend on how acoustically transparent you'd like the grille(s) to be. For me the answer would be - as much as possible, with no enclosed sections, as would result from several of the suggestions above as I read them.

If you're not comfortable with the durability of a grille with just the fabric stretched over an MDF framework, flexible perforated /expanded metal or thick aluminum mesh as for screen doors would make the most sense. You'll want to ensure the exposed edges can't telegraph through the cloth.

OP said its for his sub. Im a grill off kind of guy, although it doesn't make much difference with subs aside from them looking better off.

After leaving with lingering thought my approach still seems like a good one (no disrespect intended). Although if it were for a full range it would seem very likely trapped waves along those edges would cause degradation. Even after cutting the fronts and sides out accordingly.

Ive seen many frames constucted from MDF. If strength is a concern a little bit of epoxy resin and short strand fibre glass will add adequate strength no question.

Grills on, grills off. If other attempts fail when speakers sound bright and a touch edgy sometimes well designed grills can take some brightness out of what emit the speakers and have them sounding "just right". If they are of poor design again I can forsee them trapping waves along the baffle edges so you may be worse off then from where you started.

They had to of had wives in mind when they invented grills. Again no disrespect intended to anyone :)

Edit, oops, they are great when young kids are around thats for sure, they love to invert dust caps. I havent seen one kid that didnt hone in on them once he got them locked in to his or her sight.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.