need advice - tall speakers, how to build a base, looking (cast concrete/cement?) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2016, 07:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default need advice - tall speakers, how to build a base, looking (cast concrete/cement?)

As the title kind of says, trying to build a base for my speakers, needs to be very low cost and heavy, was thinking of casting dyed sement/concrete, anyone have any idead or advice?
Old 1st October 2016, 07:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Make mold from plywood or Sonotube, and pour in concrete. Design the mold so it takes exactly half bag of 'ready mix.'
Or make base mold part of loudspeaker, so it can also hold sand as a first option, before you pour in concrete.
Old 1st October 2016, 10:10 PM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

helps to know what the design looks like?
Old 1st October 2016, 10:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's a tower, about 1m tall, front is about 19cm wide, rear about 7cm, curved sides.
Has three 8mm female threads inserted into the base - two at the front and one at the rear.
Bass port at the bottom - was using spikes to hold the bottom of the speaker approximately 1" of the floor, so if I make a plinth it'll maintain this gap.

Current thoughts are either to cast 100mm M8 threaded bolts into the base, giving a cement base about 7.5cm thick, which will add a lot of weight and hopefully stability.

other options I can think of are expensive...
Old 1st October 2016, 11:09 PM   #5
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

So, it is already designed and built?

Fwiw, I'd put the concrete inside the box, unless it is already built. Assuming you
want weight, not a wide base... and fwiw, I do not like downward facing ports, they
become too dependent on the floor material, and the height above the floor. YMMV.

1m is not terribly tall at all... so unless you need a tiny footprint, a wider wood base or other material (even case concrete or gypsum) will work
Old 2nd October 2016, 03:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Go to a local metal shop. Ask to buy 2 pieces of aluminum that measure 18" 18" 1/4" . Take them home and slightly radius all 4 edges of one side. Then, take some metal polish and shine that side up.
After that, bolt to bottom of speaker ( long bolts and spacers)and enjoy.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 2nd October 2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 2nd October 2016, 06:30 AM   #7
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I've made my own, but precast concrete slabs in various size are available relatively cheap nowadays: https://www.google.com/search?q=pref...cT_AlcQsAQIogE

GM
Old 2nd October 2016, 06:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah they're already made. I think a large part of the problem comes from having a single spike at the back, centre of gravity is pretty high and near the front of the speaker, so they topple easily.

I was thinking casting so I could cast M8 bolts directly into the concrete, or holes so the concrete can bolt directly to the base, wider base and heavy so they cant knock over.

Putting further thought into it, I'm starting to think that maybe cutting out a more aesthetically pleasing shape from a lump of mdf may be a better idea, then I can have two "prongs" at the back to stop it toppling over... probably a better idea. and some kind of non-spike based feet would help, marking floors isn't cool
Old 2nd October 2016, 06:57 PM   #9
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Agreed, however many layers of MDF it takes to ~match >50% of the speaker's weight is much easier to make, decorate with molding, etc., or just 'staircase' tapered. The finest looking 'marble' roman column/plinths I've seen were realistically painted MDF construction.

Industrial grade Velcro holds quite tenaciously BTW, so good that I've had to use a flat blade crowbar to pry them loose in some cases, so generally just use tabs of it rather than a continuous bead. Product/whatever trade show booth assembly, displays rely heavily on it.

GM

Last edited by GM; 2nd October 2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ok, so here are some pictures of the cab and the base.

Am I right thinking there's a general agreement that a thick MDF Base is the way to go?

Also, If I want to avoid using spikes, what other ways are there to have the cab on the floor? reall it should be off the floor, or the bass port won't work at all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161003_104212.jpg (163.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 20161003_104242.jpg (433.2 KB, 88 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!