No screws on MDF enclosures, but treated area contact ang good glue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The MDF on this side of the pond is bonded with U-F glue.

PVA is perfectly suited to bonding MDF joints. If you are at all concerned, use cleats.

Took the words outta my mouth, drill through the MDF, countersink the hole and screw into wood cleats.

I use Titebond woodworking glue and 3M DP 420 epoxy liberally. My current project has over 200 screws, near a quart of glue and 3 duo paks of epoxy in it!

Omg what thickness is that board hehe, it should be 1.5" . That joining method is supreme, it's good if you have the tool to do that, if not, I think that using simply round dowels you can also get an amazing powerful joint.

What I am doing now to join the boards, it's to add one dowel near the corners, just to keep the boards fixed it, with every edge and board glued and clamped, then while drying or dried, I drill more holes using a guide (so every hole is perfect centered to edge without effort), to add more dowels and add more strength

Exactly where can I find SHITHOUSE bricks? And wouldn't it better to sandwich the SHITHOUSE brick between two biquits rather than inserting a biscuit into the brick itself?

I can only imagine speakers made using SHITHOUSE bricks sounding pretty crappy.

All joking aside It seems MDF became a material for constructing speakers in the early
80's...maybe earlier. Prior to that it was veneer covered particle board which to be should only be used as a home constructing the outer shell of a house.

I can see how MDF is a material that lends itself to speaker cabinet construction because of its density...but I'd rather use plywood and additional bracing to prevent vibration or any type of resonance.

Last edited:
huh? try the seasonal outdoor landscaping department of your local Home Depot or Lowes for bricks

Go back far enough, and you will find commercial speaker enclosures built from plywood - at least the pair of AR1s I recently refinished were.

There's almost a religious aspect to the conversation of MDF vs Particle board vs Plywood, and bracing techniques etc, so this could get messier than cleaning up the foaming nocturnal ejectamenta of a Gorilla glue layup

Exactly where can I find SHITHOUSE bricks? And wouldn't it better to sandwich the SHITHOUSE brick between two biquits rather than inserting a biscuit into the brick itself?

I can only imagine speakers made using SHITHOUSE bricks sounding pretty crappy.

All joking aside It seems MDF became a material for constructing speakers in the early
80's...maybe earlier. Prior to that it was veneer covered particle board which to be should only be used as a home constructing the outer shell of a house.

I can see how MDF is a material that lends itself to speaker cabinet construction because of its density...but I'd rather use plywood and additional bracing to prevent vibration or any type of resonance.

Where exactly would one find a comparison of the three with data demonstrating any one is superior to the other for this application?

Where exactly would one find a comparison of the three with data demonstrating any one is superior to the other for this application?

MDF machines nicely, nasty dust though

there is a paper somewhere where a test showed particle board has better damping than mdf or ply in the setup used.

plywood is stiffer, stronger and the only one resistant to moisture, care is needed to keep it from splintering...

The MDF I used was 18mm thick. I used two MDF layers glue together with Gorilla glue, whilst the inner box was built with solely with biscuits and PVA. I used Gorilla because of the large areas I was gluing.

One can never have enough clamps!

One of the best aspects of using biscuits is that dry assemble is so easy, Once you have the biscuit cutter set up correctly butt joints are as simple was lining the two panels up, marking on both the biscuit centre; a couple of quick cuts with the biscuit joiner and a perfect butt joint.

I used an MDF primer and household paint (with a couple of layers of ultra tough clear matt varnish) to finish the speakers and the MDF butt joints don't show through at all...mind you I was addicted to my orbital sander at the time... :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.