A safe flux

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please advise a safe flux for hand soldering.
Mostly through hole components, leads to terminals etc.

I have used Bakers soldering paste for years with no problems. Tin is emptying and what's left is a bit messy.

I got Rosin flux as a replacement (mostly used dissolved in IPA and applied as a liquid).
Rosin - Termopasty
No safety data sheets or warnings on their website.
My exposure was not heavy yet I put myself in hospital with a major nosebleed.

Cambridge Uni website highlights the dangers well - Rosin is a serious occupational health hazard.
Soldering Safety ? Department of Engineering Health & Safety

So having recovered, I now need a safe flux to continue my hobby.

Please advise a safe flux for hand soldering.
Mostly through hole components, leads to terminals etc.

I have used Bakers soldering paste for years with no problems. Tin is emptying and what's left is a bit messy.

I got Rosin flux as a replacement (mostly used dissolved in IPA and applied as a liquid).
Rosin - Termopasty
No safety data sheets or warnings on their website.
My exposure was not heavy yet I put myself in hospital with a major nosebleed.

Cambridge Uni website highlights the dangers well - Rosin is a serious occupational health hazard.
Soldering Safety ? Department of Engineering Health & Safety

So having recovered, I now need a safe flux to continue my hobby.

Eeeks! Any particular reason why you aren't using a decent rosin core tin/lead/silver solder?

If rosin fumes worry you, a small PC fan a meter or two away will gently move fumes away from your face, you just want to move air a little.

EDIT: reading the Cambridge page, it was CLEARLY written by a NO CLUE "armchair Engineer" , either a politically appointed one or somebody who maybe got a degree but never ever actually builr anything.

Unfortunately such people often "advice" politicians who then write useless Laws we have to abide by.

Last edited:
Bakers Paste is (was) mild for electrical soldering .
Bakers Fluid (no 3) is much more corrosive but bizarrely is sold by Maplin!

Yes I use a Rosin cored solder (with no ill effect) but still like to use a little additional flux.

And Fahey, I wish I had read the Cambridge page, "CLEARLY written by a NO CLUE "armchair Engineer"" before using the flux because I was not exaggerating the effects on me. I found your remarks offensive.

Amusing to see that the clever people at Cambridge University need to be told not to touch the end of a soldering iron!

I used to joke that NVQ Level 1 Plumbing tells trainee plumbers which end of a blowtorch to hold. As always, real life is much funnier than jokes.

I have used rosin cored solder for 50 years with no ill effects. I have never found it necessary to use any extra flux. However, I have heard before that some people can develop a sensitivity to it. Sorry to hear that the OP was one of these.

I don't believe that the lead in solder is as dangerous as that page implies. Provided that you wash your hands after soldering, and don't eat while soldering, then little will get into your system.

Thanks for the answers.
I maytry the Amtech flux - a paste will certainly be easier to use than the solid rosin type.
However, storage life is only 6 months?
After a bit of searching -
AMTECH Data Sheets

I have a fan ready to use also, thanks Fahey - hope I didn't upset you?

The Uni site was pretty much the only reference to nosebleeds I could find. It's easy to mock H&S but the aims are important.

I too have used rosin cored solder and I assume the Baker's paste also contained rosin (as does the Amtech paste). I never had problems until using the pure rosin flux.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.