Epoxy Resin Finish on Speaker Enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used self leveling clear epoxy resin as a final finish on speaker enclosures. What is the best way to add the finish? Would you do one side at a time upright or all sides at once? taking into consideration the epoxy moving down the sides due to gravity if you do most sides at once. I have seen videos of it done on kitchen tops/tables/coffee tables and the finish is fantastic. I know it can be brushed on, so doing all sides at once might be okay?

Ive used the stuff many times for boat stuff. I would do all the sides and top first, all at once. Then move to bottom when dry, after a light scuff with sandpaper along the bottom edges. The epoxy will seep into the scuffed up area and give you a good seam without discolouration.

Wouldnt worry about drips too much, the stuff dries pretty fast. Its a blessing and a curse in that sense. You can usually brush out any ripples (the epoxy equivalent of a drip), if you get to it within about 5 minutes.

Youll get a sense for how quickly it dries. For a box type enclosure, make sure to not let a wet edge go too long without being continued. Maybe a spiral type brushing scheme would work best if you dont feel like rushing!

Ive used the stuff many times for boat stuff. I would do all the sides and top first, all at once. Then move to bottom when dry, after a light scuff with sandpaper along the bottom edges. The epoxy will seep into the scuffed up area and give you a good seam without discolouration.

Wouldnt worry about drips too much, the stuff dries pretty fast. Its a blessing and a curse in that sense. You can usually brush out any ripples (the epoxy equivalent of a drip), if you get to it within about 5 minutes.

Youll get a sense for how quickly it dries. For a box type enclosure, make sure to not let a wet edge go too long without being continued. Maybe a spiral type brushing scheme would work best if you dont feel like rushing!

Thanks for the info., good to know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.