Advice on finishing raw aluminum.. keeping the aluminum look

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I've got a new chassis on order, it's coming with no finish, it's just been brushed..

I've done a bit of research and I think I should probably finish it with something to prevent oxidation.. I don't want to spend too much on doing this, so my initial thought was just to go with a simple spray can clear coat.. Although I've read about clear coats yellowing over time. Though good modern clear coats shouldn't have this problem apparently.. I was thinking about possibly using this product Dupli-Color Wheel Coating, Clear Matte Finish | Canadian Tire

I've also read about using a chemical called alodine which apparently keeps the surface from oxidizing, although doesn't provide any protection against scratches. There seem to be a few types of alodine, the most common kind gives the metal a yellow color, but you can get it so that there's no tint after the process is done.

I can order Alodine 1001 here ALODINE 1001 from Aircraft Spruce Canada for no tint.
To prep the metal for the alodine solution, it's recommended to use this prep / cleaning agent ALUMIPREP NO. 33 from Aircraft Spruce Canada

Anyways, just looking to see what people have done to finish aluminum.. I'd like to keep the aluminum look, so I don't want to paint it or anything. Has anyone used a clear coat? Any recommendations on specific products?
Has anyone done the Alodine process?

Whatever I do, I want to keep it fairly simple and not too expensive. I don't have any shops locally that can do any plating, so I want to take care of this myself.

I assume Alodine is another brand of Irridite. It's usually used for internal aluminum parts and its big advantage is you don't lose conductivity- no need to scrape through it like anodize when you want ground continuity. That said, I'd want a front panel anodized for durability. Should be easy and cheap to send out. Not sure about the long term performance of a clear coat. I can envision the aluminum oxidizing underneath, wrecking the integrity or appearance of the coating.

I assume Alodine is another brand of Irridite. It's usually used for internal aluminum parts and its big advantage is you don't lose conductivity- no need to scrape through it like anodize when you want ground continuity. That said, I'd want a front panel anodized for durability. Should be easy and cheap to send out. Not sure about the long term performance of a clear coat. I can envision the aluminum oxidizing underneath, wrecking the integrity or appearance of the coating.

Yes it would seem so. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromate_conversion_coating

I'm not overly concerned about durability from a getting bumped around point of view.. Do you think just treating the entire chassis with an alodine solution would be an okay solution if the amp is just going to basically be a permanent fixture in my house.. I'm just looking for something that will keep the chassis safe long term as it just sits in my house over the years.

If I went the clear coat route, why do you think it would oxidize underneath?

Maybe powder coating would be an easy way to go.. I'm sure there's some auto body shop in town that would be able to do that.

Last edited:
I have test equipment many decades old with clear Irridited aluminum panels. They're still in good shape, so I'd think your chassis would do OK. Just remember that it's a soft surface, more subject to scratches and damage than anodize. It's also known for not always coming out even, but that's more prep and doing the job right. As for the darker shades, what you often see on military stuff, the color is really too close to cat **** to want on hi-fi equipment!

I have test equipment many decades old with clear Irridited aluminum panels. They're still in good shape, so I'd think your chassis would do OK. Just remember that it's a soft surface, more subject to scratches and damage than anodize. It's also known for not always coming out even, but that's more prep and doing the job right. As for the darker shades, what you often see on military stuff, the color is really too close to cat **** to want on hi-fi equipment!

But there's this clear stuff Alodine 1001 Alodine® 1001? Conversion Coating - Henkel

This chrome conversion coating offers the best affordable substrate for both paint adhesion and corrosion resistance. Alodine 1001 is used when it is desired to retain the silver white aluminum

No tint.. Seems like no one's used this version of the product..

Have you read the MSDS on that stuff? It seems to combine the hazards of hydrofluoric acid with the disposal problems of chromium compounds. If they'd even let you buy it, I wouldn't get within 20 feet of it, and I've no idea how you'd dispose of it. Powder coating is looking pretty good!

Haha.. Yea, I found a place that will ship it to me, but because it has to be shipped with hazmat considerations, the shipping is more costly than the product itself!

I found a company not too far away that will do both anodizing as well as alodining, so I'm currently investigating costs for both options.

What is a reasonable amount to pay for a chassis to be anodized? Like 14" x 22" x 4"?.. Big guy.

Anodizing is probably the best solution. Another option would be to have a clear powder coat. Ten years ago I wanted to have some parts anodized and all the plating shops I contacted at the time were booked solid with jobs for the military. So I opted for powder coating. The look is very similar to clear anodizing. It's been very durable, but not as hard a finish as anodized.

Well.. I've got a couple options.. I could get it anodized in Winnipeg (200Km away), and I found a place that will charge $100 Canadian for same day service.. So I can drive in, drop it off and pick it up on my way home.

OR, there is a local place where I live that will also do a clear powder coat for about the same amount of money.. But it's definitely more convenient..

So I'm kind of torn.

Well.. I've got a couple options.. I could get it anodized in Winnipeg (200Km away), and I found a place that will charge $100 Canadian for same day service.. So I can drive in, drop it off and pick it up on my way home.

OR, there is a local place where I live that will also do a clear powder coat for about the same amount of money.. But it's definitely more convenient..

So I'm kind of torn.

Have you considered doing your own anodizing? It's involved but not that complicated. You can then give it all sorts of funky colours.
I know someone who runs a big anodizing plant, and I know that it is quite cheap, in large lots, maybe $10/m², so coming along with a 0.05m² box isn't that exciting for the shop, unless they are charging you for the time lost to anodize a big lot.

Oh and they can't just add it on to some other job because the current and time is different for each size

Last edited:
Have you considered doing your own anodizing? It's involved but not that complicated. You can then give it all sorts of funky colours.
I know someone who runs a big anodizing plant, and I know that it is quite cheap, in large lots, maybe $10/m², so coming along with a 0.05m² box isn't that exciting for the shop, unless they are charging you for the time lost to anodize a big lot.

Oh and they can't just add it on to some other job because the current and time is different for each size

I found a self-anodizing kit, but it was over $200.. Is this something that can actually be done cheaply?

I think the shop is charging me what they are because they can.. There aren't a lot of options around here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.