Cuts and holes on ebay aluminium chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

anyone with experience making square openings, drilling holes for ports and additional array of holes for cooling etc in these ebay chassis?

I am planning to use them for ncore amplifier cases and a DSP preamplifier case.

Is dremel with approrpiate bits helpful? Power drill needed or an 18V cordless drill can handle the holes?

thanks for comments and advice

thanks
J

2609 Silver Full Aluminum Preamplifier Enclosure Amplifier Chassis Amp Box | eBay

small holes <3mm are OK for dremel type, but your bits must be sharp to cut the aluminium.
For <8mm a battery hand drill is OK.
Bigger will need a heavy slow speed hand drill. Not a trigger speed type but a gearbox that has a switchable slow speed, preferably <1000rpm.

Lots of files for shaping and enlarging never go wrong.
Needle files for the tiny work. Small half round and rat tail for medium work.
Normal sized files for normal reworking, including a big round file with fine teeth, 12mm to 16mm diam is great for bigger work like XLR and Speakon holes.

Hi

anyone with experience making square openings, drilling holes for ports and additional array of holes for cooling etc in these ebay chassis?

I am planning to use them for ncore amplifier cases and a DSP preamplifier case.

Is Dremel with appropriate bits helpful? Power drill needed or an 18V cordless drill can handle the holes?

The best tool for making a square hole in thin stock is the matching square punch. But, they can be costly. Overlapping cuts can be used to cut larger holes with a smaller punch if you have a skilled hand.

Other alternatives include files and nibbling tools, both hand, electric and air. They are slower and take more skill but can be used to do good work.

Dremyl and the stouter Rotozip tools take a practiced steady hand, particularly if you use the spiral blades (look like drill bits).

Abrasive cutters can work on harder stock but will jam up with soft materials.

Oscillating cutting tools can be faster alternatives to filing or manual cutting. They work well with both bimetalic, tool steel, and carbide and diamond grit blades. Practice up on scrap stock before you try them on the finished pieces.

A set of small diamond saws on arbors and diamond burrs can also be used with a Dremyl or competitive 1/8" rotary cutting tool. They are especially good on hard metals even tool steel and will be effective in glass and ceramic.

1/8" shank bits can be chucked in a drill motor but they will be slower going. It is in the RPMs - Dremyl tools go past 10,000 rpm but your typical cordless drill is usually running below 1,000 rpm, often just several 100's.

Center punch and drill pilot holes. Rows of adjacent holes can be filed or cut into a slot or square hole in a pinch.

Practice up on scrap stock before cutting on the nice cha$$i$. Go slow at first.

Hi

Is dremel with approrpiate bits helpful? Power drill needed or an 18V cordless drill can handle the holes?

thanks for comments and advice

thanks
J

2609 Silver Full Aluminum Preamplifier Enclosure Amplifier Chassis Amp Box | eBay

What I do is drill a hole, then use a jigsaw with metal blade. I clean up the hole with a file. Works best on thick metal. On thinner metal, you need a backer board that you also drill and cut.

I believe that a hand drill/motodremel tool causes the bit to swim too much. Try to find someone with a drill press that you can borrow or allow you to use that can gear the speed down. You will need a small piece of plywood under the metal. Start with a small hole and then enlarge it. A center punch and a hammer will be a good starter punch. To make a square hole, start with small round holes in each corner of the square and cut out excess metal with a sabre saw. Then file it square. The most common mistake I feel is using a hand drill with too much speed. Start slow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.