Cutting tools for Aluminum?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's very kind of you... but germany is a bit far from Paris [emoji28] .
I know, I've been to Paris last week :D
Why not send it as a parcel, should take two days each way.

I think it will be very hard to file the cuts accurate as long as you don't have the tools for it. 10mm is hard stuff, should also take Its time... :rolleyes:

But if you decide to do it yourself, use a drill with 3 or 4 mm, drill close to the edge and file the rest to have a clean fitting.

Last edited:
You mentioned you have a router..,
You could use a wood router with a collar and 1/4" carbide bit
Use a 1/2" MDf as the template and just clamp to piece and go
Drill the corner and don,t try to "mill" too deep

Or use mentioned rough jigsaw cutout and clean edges with above setup
Wear eye protection and ear plugs
Regards
David

I have seen these enclosures with thick front/back panels.
They are pretty useless to me as I want to mount pots etc which only have enough threads for 2-3mm.
In the end I got a Maplin enclosure with plastic front/back panels.
These were easy to drill and punch.

You can counterbore the area where you need to mount your pots. Wood cutters work for aluminum if you stop and oil the cutter often. A large forstner bit will do a nice counterbore prior to drilling the hole.

I've no experience so I'll pose this as a question. Would a Dremel with an abrasive cutting disc work (cuts on circumference )?

Abrasives don't work well with aluminum. Aluminum cuts best with sharp open cutters with lots of room to remove chips (wood cutters work but will dull a little more quickly). If it gets warm it will instantly melt to anything you are trying to cut or form it with. Coolant, oils or just about anything wet helps with this help a lot with this.

1/4" thick alum. Done with wood router and jig
(50 monoblock)

image.jpg

Regards
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.