Painting wood veneer speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to paint a pair of Paradigm Signature speakers in order to match the rest of the décor of the room(high end home). The speakers are maple wood veneer and I have to paint them semi gloss to match the venetian plaster. What is the best technique and materials for painting them? I will be using 4 stage HVLP. What type of paint and primer should I use? Durability is paramount since they will be getting a lot of direct sunlight. I am thinking automotive paint, but I am not clear on the primer I should use for wood veneer. I have done high gloss black finish on my speakers but they were MDF.

Thanks

Commercially finished veneer speakers most likely to be a polyurethane based clear coat - while it'd be a shame to paint them, if you must, it probably wouldn't hurt to give them a light sanding with say, 120 or 150G, then a couple of coats of high solids primer if you want to fill grain.

No finish is bullet proof, but for highest durability, a post catalyzed primer and top coat formulated specifically for wood should be considered. ML Campbell Clawlock primer and Resistant Conversion Varnish are what we swear by for our in house paint work. Both products are catalyzed with Care Catalyst ( 10:1), and spray like a dream with a cheap air powered gravity feed HVLP gun.

The white base can be tinted by the reseller to virtually any shade in the Pantone formula guide, or major paint brands. Both are also available in black, and in multiple sheens.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.