Custom Circle Jig for Dewalt Compact Router - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2015, 07:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Custom Circle Jig for Dewalt Compact Router

Hi,

I am fairly new to speaker building and after building my first couple speakers using a jigsaw to cut the circles for my drivers I decided to try to find a circle jig for my Dewalt compact router. After doing some research there are not that many options for my compact router for an circle jig. After looking around at some custom jigs online I decided to use my AutoCad skills to design and then have an acrylic laser cutting company cut me a custom jig for my router. I used 1/4" black acrylic and painted in the letters for easier adjustment. After a few tries it seems to work very well. I have a couple minor tweaks that I make and have a new one made. Please take a look at the attached pictures and let my know what you think about the design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150310_090324.jpg (446.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150310_090444.jpg (511.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150310_090450.jpg (458.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150311_135647.jpg (413.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150311_140021.jpg (359.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150311_140241.jpg (388.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150311_140309.jpg (342.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Router Temp.jpg (218.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 12th March 2015, 03:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

This is the same basic design, but at least an order of magnitude more refined, than the jig I showed at

Cutting Circles with Jig Saw

Excellent work!

Dale
Old 12th March 2015, 03:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Nice! I need one of those...
Old 12th March 2015, 07:00 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

nice design and fab work on the jig, but I'd worry about durability of a compact / laminate trim router for machining a high number of speaker cutouts in MDF or plywood any thicker than 1/2"
Old 16th March 2015, 03:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
. . . I'd worry about durability of a compact / laminate trim router for machining a high number of speaker cutouts in MDF or plywood any thicker than 1/2"
The place where I'm working uses that router - or one very similar to it - in a CNC machine for plastic parts. (Mostly HDPE.) It runs about 30 hours/week, and the router lasts 6-8 months.

I don't have much contact with that CNC machine, but from what I've heard about the "failed" routers, it might be nothing more complicated than replacing the brushes.

Dale
Old 17th March 2015, 12:55 PM   #6
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Very posh, I use an off cut of sheet material screwed to the router bottom and a pin for the pivot point.... I do use a big router with 1/2" tools makes all the difference over smaller routers.
Old 17th March 2015, 01:43 PM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Nice work. I've been considering getting that or a very similar router as I'm finding the big 1/2 inch one a bit unwieldy.
Old 19th March 2015, 03:27 PM   #8
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  Germany
diyAudio Member

i have this router in my CNC router table. it has many hours on it and is, so far, trouble free. I suspect it'll need new brushes in the near future but it has hundreds of hours on it.

bonus: precise bits makes a precision 1/8" collet so you can use 1/8" bits in it too.
Old 19th March 2015, 03:36 PM   #9
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
The place where I'm working uses that router - or one very similar to it - in a CNC machine for plastic parts. (Mostly HDPE.) It runs about 30 hours/week, and the router lasts 6-8 months.

I don't have much contact with that CNC machine, but from what I've heard about the "failed" routers, it might be nothing more complicated than replacing the brushes.

Dale
So roughly 720 hours min, for us average Joes that's probably a lifetime of routing. I have a collection of routers, all down to my woodworking hero Norm Abram...
Quote:
And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these safety glasses
Old 19th March 2015, 04:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That's a beautiful jig. I'm actually envious. I was looking for a jig for a trim router as well, but they're harder to find.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but are the screws attaching the router completely recessed, or do they protrude a little from the bottom of the jig?

Hide this!Advertise here!