Help With Wiring Question:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was considering building a portable 12v powered boombox and have been contemplating different routes to take. I definitely want to be able to have two audio source options available: Bluetooth and also 3.5mm input for an alternate. My question is: Can I wire it up the following way shown below or will it not work? Only one audio source will be used at a time of course.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/557/dWrtiL.jpg

Joined 2011
I definitely want to be able to have two audio source options available:

Damage may be caused if you just connect two different sources together with the Y cable.
You could use resistors to form a simple mixer, and there are some types of RCA connectors that allow resistors to be connected inside.

Why not have a switch on the boombox to select either source, and plug each source into the boombox separately?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Still confused.. So your saying if I'm only feeding one source signal at a time it will be fine? The bluetooth module will be on a switch so I could shut it off prior to connecting a cable jack from a phone.

If you're certain only one source would be plugged in at a time, it would be ok, but just turning the other one off is not good enough.
Why have the Y connector? Just plug in either source's cable one at a time.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.