Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2015, 07:31 AM   #11
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't see why foam shouldn't work (might need to be sprayed with something to make to harden the surface?). I've just hated cuttinvg the stuff (its dust is a mess). Hot wire sounds good, but that's a lot of cutting, glue application, and cleanup, at least compared to just bringing home wood from the store and hitting it with a nailer!

But yeah they are kind of heavy. I can move my 6 footers around (at 61yrs and a year after major surgery) but wouldn't want to try carrying one up the basement steps by myself!
Old 19th February 2015, 04:55 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
... that's a lot of cutting, glue application, and cleanup, at least compared to just bringing home wood from the store and hitting it with a nailer!
good point
Old 21st February 2015, 05:32 AM   #13
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cutting the heavy foam-core panels I had into all the pieces needed, then hot gluing them together was a chore I won't soon forgot. Bill's method looks a LOT less tedious
Old 27th February 2015, 02:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Snip!
I've never used a good, professional hot wire cutter so I can't really comment on that, we tried a a really cheap one for seat cushion foam once but it was a very poorly made tool and was promptly binned. I bet that a good one is the cat's meow for foam.

An upholsterer friend showed me a trick:
An electric carving knife works fantastic on soft foam. You can generate shapes or staring cuts with ease.
My2c
Jorge
Old 26th April 2015, 03:31 PM   #15
drewan is offline drewan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Do you think these would work as a diffuser? Bamboo Fencing / UK Bamboo Supplies
or be so difficult to eliminate buzzes/rattles etc. as to not be worth a try?, Also have you found that putting dispersion panels at the first reflection point widens the ideal listening spot? At the mo only one person can hear the music properly in our house
many nthanks to you all for such a great forum
Old 28th April 2015, 08:21 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

The bamboo is better than nothing but will be limited to upper frequencies. It's too thin for anything else
Old 30th April 2015, 04:35 PM   #17
drewan is offline drewan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Pano, and thanks for your reply. Diameters are available from 25mm - 90mm. I am thinking of using different diameters to get as near as the wooden diffuser specs, and possibly filling the tubes with expandin foam. Would be more attractive than the wooden monoliths! Big question for me as to if it's worthwhile is if it widens the 'sweet' spot. Trying to come up with something that swmbo will accept!
Old 8th May 2015, 07:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

OK, that's bigger than I thought. You should be able to figure the effective range with those diameters. I was thinking of the thinner stuff.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:16 PM   #19
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewan View Post
Do you think these would work as a diffuser? Bamboo Fencing / UK Bamboo Supplies
I don't think any acoustic treatment will effectively widen the sweet spot. If you have direct radiators, crossing the listening axes in front of the listening position is probably the best option.

I think the bamboo is an interesting idea for diffusion, you could make a wave shape out of it and make a wider range diffuser, and put some insulation behind to add some absorption. Keeping it clean might be an issue - you might want to spray some sort of lacquer or varnish on it to make it easier to dust.
Old 27th June 2015, 05:01 PM   #20
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
I don't think any acoustic treatment will effectively widen the sweet spot. If you have direct radiators, crossing the listening axes in front of the listening position is probably the best option.
Crossing the axis in front of the main seat gives a nice effect if you then put diffusers behind the main seat (several feet back), so the speakers fire into the diffusers. Expands the apparent room size, really transforms the entire system.

Hide this!Advertise here!