Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2016, 10:41 PM   #91
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you have front speakers with broad depth and open space in between with a span of flat bare wall it can use work. I could picture sound waves travelling back leaving the baffles then bouncing off the wall then again off the side of each speaker forming a continuous "X" smearing the main image from the speakers.

I got so close to finishing this panel. I dont know when I will but I had to try it. Results are positive and immediately noticeable. I still plan to build a second one with deeper wells to try.

I had a hell of a time getting it on the wall partially. The block underneath and one screw are all thats holding it until Im able to line it in proper. But sound is more important than looks for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panel1.jpg (163.1 KB, 193 views)
Old 24th July 2016, 02:52 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Pardon me, but what is that panel of yours? Any info?

It doesn't look like either a Schroeder or a Leanfuser design but some sort of 'grating' or single frequency diffuser with wide fins between shallow wells - I don't know of this one ...
Old 24th July 2016, 06:01 AM   #93
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick
With the wall that close, I suspect your only good option is a heavy absorber between you and the wall. Diffusers far above may help with ambience but the need to reduce that specular reflection from behind you would seem much more important to deal with first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
Thanks Mr. Waslo and SS4927 for your comments.

I see I was not emphatic enough about the chair being around 18 inches from this fireplace/wall.

AS much as I would like to introduce diffusion into the room I may not have a way to do it without blocking windows and access to a staircase!

I have been using old ROOM TUNE absorbers to tune out a strange little upper midrange squeal - you could really hear when you aimed your ear at the back wall but were not consciously aware of it when facing the speakers. Other than that the wall seems to not cause problems, which is surprising. Nonetheless, one is never sure how good a setup is until they try something.

One of these days I will try placing three panels on the wall as I mentioned and hope the effort is not wasted, which I cannot imagine it being. Breaking up the stuff bouncing off of that big wall would have to improve things. Would it change anything if you re-consider this: the fact the ceiling is at close to a 45 degrees angle which reflects what is coming off of that wall? Would a diffused reflection be better or could it be worse?

I know all this is ridiculously hypothetical. So feel free to respond in kind!
Old 15th August 2016, 12:25 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

For my next try instead of using a flimsy piece of .25 mdf backer I have a larger piece of multi layer birch ply approx .75" thick. covering that is fine veneer with grains cascading through half the 48" span that reminds me of a waterfall. that with the birds eye looking details speckled throughout should make a nice front piece along wall. I might arch the vertical ends slightly in search of more eye appeal.

then instead of hardwood runners I will use a finished birch ply for the runners to create the channels. I will also miter the backboard .75w x .25d" this time to lock them in place opposed to gluing strips in between them, that along with glue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbp2.jpg (220.2 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg bbp3.jpg (190.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 27th August 2016, 03:52 PM   #95
jerry g is offline jerry g  Uzbekistan
diyAudio Member

I was wondering about making a diffusor stacking a 2inch on a 3inch on a 4 inch board, and am asking if this might be better than uniform widths....or even variations like 4 on 3 on 2 (or whatever)....and then I was also thinking about using various molding shapes, and I also was wondering about scoring the outermost pieces with kerf cuts on a table saw at various depths....any feedback on these ideas? I would be willing to add a small bit of complexity and extra work, if it resulted in a reasonable improvement.
Old 27th August 2016, 05:13 PM   #96
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd strongly suggest you download the (free for 1month eval) of AFMG Reflex. Not just any old shape makes a good diffuser, and most aren't at all very good over much bandwidth. On the Reflex simulator you can enter your shape and see how it will (or won't) diffuse.

Before simulators like Reflex, the only way to reliably design a diffusor was with one of the mathematically-derived types like QRD. But with a simulator like Reflex you can develop and analyze other shapes that are as good or better (and easier to make). Don't just take a random stab with wood, you'll probably get only decoration or firewood. Take your random stab(s) with software.
Old 28th August 2016, 07:09 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

The simulator is good to have thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!