Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step
Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2018, 02:08 AM   #141
emailtim is offline emailtim  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambe View Post
Listening update.

Irshad and I are really really enjoying listening to what the diffusers are doing in the listening room. Thanks again for a great project.
How much space do you have between the diffusers and ceiling ? They look like a close fit.

Nice job on the fabrication.
Old 11th March 2018, 05:51 PM   #142
Cambe is offline Cambe
diyAudio Member

emailtim,
You are correct about the space between the ceiling and the diffuser. There is about 0.75 inches of space. I had to set the bottom of the diffuser in first then walk it in, the carpet made sliding them a no-no. Thanks for your kind words.

Cambe
Old 15th March 2018, 03:30 PM   #143
AndrewGII is offline AndrewGII
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

Thanks for the plans. The panels look great. I have a quick question (for anyone): I'm in Germany and the dimensions of the wood at the Home Depot equivalent are a bit different. Will this difference, if within 10% or so, severely diminish the effectiveness or just change the frequencies it's affecting? Also, are there certain dimensions that are more important than others to preserve? Thanks again for the effort!

A.
Old 9th April 2018, 03:28 PM   #144
kgveteran is offline kgveteran  United States
diyAudio Member

Just completed my first set of diffusers. My intention was to eliminate slap echo i had between some parallel walls in my theater, the slap echo was between the center channel up front, it was causing a bit Of intelligibility issue with dialog, i couldnt understand, i could hear it but couldnt make out what they were saying......at low volume

That issue is gone ! Slap echo, GONE !!!!! Thank you for a well designed product

PS: I start my second set tonite expecting the same results :0)

Last edited by kgveteran; 9th April 2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 15th May 2018, 02:44 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Here is a little bit of Mini-Me and Where's Waldo. See if you can find the Depot-Diffuser serving double duty.

Putting my room back together so things are in a bit of a disarray. Broadband traps are not hung yet and will be recovered. May make AbFusers out of the broadband traps.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th June 2018, 01:42 PM   #146
mcallister1977 is offline mcallister1977  United States
diyAudio Member

would 7/16" OSB be okay to use? Have some leftover from a dedicated theater room build, no biggie if not will buy the 11/32" if required.
Old 29th June 2018, 01:52 PM   #147
DPH is online now DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

These are going to be pretty stout regardless, but perhaps add a couple of 2x4 horizontal members, or diagonal, between the sheet goods as a reinforcement/webbing. Have fun and good luck!
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:29 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister1977 View Post
would 7/16" OSB be okay to use? Have some leftover from a dedicated theater room build, no biggie if not will buy the 11/32" if required.
There are 2 layers of plywood in this build. The thickness of the back piece should not be a problem acoustically as long as it is structurally sound. 3/32" more against a wall is not going to make any difference. The OP uses his as "room dividers" that are placed out into the room.

I doubt 3/32" deeper on the 2nd layer would make much difference either. The LeanFuser design is based from 10mm metric stock. The author of the LeanFuser has stated that substituting Imperial dimensioned lumber (1/2" or 12.5mm) yields slightly better results due to the increased depth than the shallower metric version.

Using OSB will be more of an aesthetic issue. Also, many papers state that you should paint/varnish your diffusers to minimize absorption and increase diffusion by having a harder, sealed surface.

This whitepaper discusses sealing versus not sealing wood diffusers (Section 3, Figure 2).

The Effect of Geometrical and Material Modification of Sound Diffusers on Their Acoustic Parameters

Last edited by emailtim; 2nd July 2018 at 04:39 PM.

Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by stepHide this!Advertise here!