Help Rewiring 70s Turntable & Converting XLR > RCA + Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi diyAudio :) Glad I found this forum!

I inherited an old turntable recently (Philips 202 Electronic) that I've been repairing, but I've run into a problem — the audio cable currently inside is a 12 foot XLR3 (male) that I can't plug into anything.

I figured I can remove the current XLR cable, and just wire in a brand new Stereo RCA cable directly. But when I opened up the turntable, I found the XLR audio cable split into 5 :/ I'm a bit stumped.

Here's what the inside connector looks like.

From what I've been able to learn the last few days, here's what I have to do:

1. Remove existing XLR cable completely.
2. Purchase new Stereo RCA Cable, like this one.
3. Strip one of the ends of the RCA cable (either or)
4. Connect same one White RCA wire to both (currently) White and Yellow turntable pegs.
5. Connect same one Red RCA wire to both (currently) Red and Black turntable pegs.
6. Don't connect Black Ground wire to either RCA heads. Instead, connect it separately to Preamp "Ground" area. This is the phono pre-amp I'm getting.

Assuming that's right (no idea) here's where I'm stumped. Most diagrams look like this:
http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/images/XLR-2xRCA.jpg

Does that mean I would solder, for instance, the WHITE RCA cable wire onto both "pegs" where the (currently) YELLOW and WHITE XLR wires are attached? And NOTHING connected to the WHITE RCA sleeve?

Sorry if this is really basic stuff, this is my first time working on electronics since Grade 7. Just want to be as sure as possible I won't irreparably damage something that's irreplaceable.

I cannot see in your photo where the wires from the tonearm go, I assume white->white, red->red. The wires from the tonearm/cartridge are red/green for right channel +/-, and white/blue for left channel +/-. It looks like your turntable has both "-" and chassis ground tied to one XLR pin.

What you want is to wire red/green from the tonearm to hot/shield of the right channel RCA, and white/blue to the hot/shield of the left RCA. Then use a separate ground wire to connect the chassis ground to the ground post of the preamp.

I didn't even know those wires and the tone arm were important in this step. Haha :(

That would make sense, but I took a look at the connections are:

(XLR Wires — Tonearm Wires)

White — Red
Yellow — Green
Grey — Black (Ground)
Red — Blue
Black — White.

Does that change anything?

If it's not too much trouble can you explain what you mean by right channel +/-? Is there a way I can know which is hot or shield?

I tried to look it up but don't know what I'm looking for. Just want to better understand.

Also, am I right in thinking the current ground wire set up fine? Can I just keep it as is, cut it out of the XLR jacket, and connect it directly to the PreAmp?

Appreciate your reply! Getting closer!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.