Wood veneer advice please? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2014, 03:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wood veneer advice please?

I would like to apply wood veneer to the exterior of my cabinets. I tried veneering many years ago and it was something of a nightmare. I understand that there are better (easier to use) products available these days.

I would greatly appreciate advice on three fronts from anyone who has actual practical experience:
  1. Technique, tips and pitfalls?
  2. Plain wood veneer and glue (of some sort), iron-on -or- self adhesive wood veneer (PSA)?
  3. A good source in the U.K.?
Width will be no more than 25 cms so there ought to be a fair choice. I would probably choose either teak or mahogany.

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd December 2014, 03:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

From my experience....Unless you have a vacuum press, veneering w/unbacked veneer and glue is a nightmare (as you've learned as well).
My suggestion is to purchase paper backed veneer and use contact cement. Here's a helpful link:

Veneering Without A Vacuum Press
Old 23rd December 2014, 03:47 PM   #3
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

My dad used to use contact cement (the real "smelly" stuff put on with a brush...not water based) and would roll the bonded parts with a hard roller.
Old 23rd December 2014, 03:53 PM   #4
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
I have not had good experience with contact cement and wood veneer. Laminate for counter tops yes...wood no. I use a vacuum press and either yellow pva glue or Unibond 800 Vacuum Pressing Systems -- Veneer Glue
Maybe someone else can chime in on the iron on method.
Evan
Old 23rd December 2014, 04:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are you cabinets boxes or curved?

Ive bought plain and iron on veneer, from Veneers Online, has a website and eBay shop.

I just bought some iron on cherry in 30cm piece, 2.5m long. Will wrap around my curved cabinets like a charm. Never used iron on, especially on a curved surface, hope it works out.

If you doing it by hand, a veneer hammer is really useful if using hot melt hide glue.

At college we used Cascamite (Urea Fomaldihye) this takes 24hrs to set or 4minutes under heat press.

PVA is good, and sets under heat, so you can use an iron. Titebond is an amazing glue, but not remotely PVA, so behaves really differently.

Vacuum bag is a really good way to do it otherwise. I have one which runs off a compressor, and didn't cost the earth.

Where is the uk are you?
Old 23rd December 2014, 04:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks all. The cabinets are "boxes" without any curved edges so shouldn't be too tricky. I had never even heard of a vacuum bag or press, I had anticipated using some sort of roller or a mallet initially to remove air bubbles and then scrap MDF held in place with clamps.

I may be able to do some of the veneering before assembly - largest (side) panels I think, I'll have to check.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd December 2014, 06:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have used water based and solvent based contact cements but the last few years I use aerosol cans or PSA (pressure sensitive) veneers. Much cleaner and easier. PSA is my preferred method.
Old 23rd December 2014, 07:17 PM   #8
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post

Titebond is an amazing glue, but not remotely PVA, so behaves really differently.

Titebond 2 and their white glue are pva
Titebond - Product
Titebond - Product
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven-H View Post
From my experience....Unless you have a vacuum press, veneering w/unbacked veneer and glue is a nightmare (as you've learned as well).
My suggestion is to purchase paper backed veneer and use contact cement. Here's a helpful link:

Veneering Without A Vacuum Press
Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehome View Post
I have used water based and solvent based contact cements but the last few years I use aerosol cans or PSA (pressure sensitive) veneers. Much cleaner and easier. PSA is my preferred method.
I think that PSA will be my chosen route.
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Search on you tube. Titebond wood glue painted on both sides let it dry and then use an iron to make it stick. I have done it myself and it works well.

Hide this!Advertise here!