Surround to Stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is what I currently have in storage:

2x PROSON Twin 5.10 (towers)
2x JAMO E 6SUR (rear speakers)
1x JAMO E 6CEN (center)

I'm playing with the idea of going from 5.0 setup to stereo. My receiver should be able to handle all kinds of downmixing without problems, and I think it might be better overrall for me. I'm not even mediocre on audio and I find the TV stereo sound to be fine, I just want it more powerful. But I don't have cash to buy any hot stuff. So I want/need to make it from what I have. I have no experience with building audio, but I'm a quick learner and comfortable around electronic components and a soldering iron, as well as general building tools for making new speaker boxes/cases.

A practical problem in particular is my kids (two boys at 2 and 4) that have already managed to tip one of the towers over twice, and they're just too tall and narrow to have safely beside my TV. With all the wires as well with a 5.0 setup, I want to simplify things by either making a soundbar, or having 2 big nice stereo speakers.

So I was considering making new cases, where I take the bass driver that's located on the sides of the twin 5.10's and put them in front bottom, with the 3 other drivers on top, keeping filters as-is (I don't know enough to tamper with them for improvement yet). Creating a wider, lower, more safe and steady case. These speakers are made for wide frequency range I think, so it might work out as long as I put the receiver in a good configuration for stereo / center phantom.

Seems to me in theory to be a simple job, as electrics stays the same. I just need to hit a note on the case size for the bass driver in particular. All advice welcome.

I figured since I have these speakers available in storage, I might as well try to make something nice out of them. I'm a big fan of DIY, and having a couple of badass wide-stance stereo speakers that I've (more or less) built myself would please me much.

As this is my first post here, I'd like to say hello to all at the same time :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hej igen!

I think you're on the right track by staying stereo and building something from scratch. There are a lot of DIY-friendly designs out there that don't cost a fortune.
And if you keep your eyes open there might be older used stuff for sale that would be worth updating or customizing to your needs, and that would keep your DIY-ing affordable. Baby steps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.