Furman Power Conditioner LED conversion??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I have a Furman Power conditioner with two light tubes. Each has (had) a 3-watt(?) X-mas tree type bulb, dimmable. I want to convert these to LED's, also dimmable.

After looking around at conversion formulas, different LED's, resistors, the dimmer setup in the unit, capacitors, etc, I'm stumped, and I feel dumb. This ought to be easy! Can someone draw me a really simple picture? Maybe even specify the parts to order?
I'd like to put one really bright LED in each, or perhaps 3 purple ones, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic, including the silly attempts I've made thus far...

Attachments

• ANNtcxfYdPYV6ko1xmQIsL0SjIdWg1L-O8d3PmcULCE.jpg
    ANNtcxfYdPYV6ko1xmQIsL0SjIdWg1L-O8d3PmcULCE.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 140
For an off-the-shelf solution... there are dimmable LED lamps in various form factors. Or, dimmable LED power supplies. That assumes that the Furman dimmer is similar to a regular dimmer, and puts out 120 VAC.

Starting from scratch, the "best" way to dim LEDs is to vary the duty cycle (PWM). The colour of LEDs can vary with the current, (at least it does with the white ones). Search ebay for PWM dimmer and you'll find various things with convenient knobs. Or, there's mini LED dimmer controllers for about a buck; those have push buttons on the board which presumably could be wired to a front panel control.

I think I figured it out. First, I can't use the dimmer in the unit, because it dims AC based on Voltage. I need a DC dimmer based on Current. So, I ordered a cheap one from China, I will disassemble it and use its knob in my unit.
Second, I have to both transform the voltage to DC, and step it down to 12 Volts or less. I think I can do this with any wall wart transformer. which will feed the dimmer the amperage it wants.
From there, I think I'm all set - just use a resistor calculator, wire a couple LED's in series and I'm good... I hope, LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.