Little powered speaker wiring help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2014, 11:35 PM   #1
Ripcord is offline Ripcord  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Little powered speaker wiring help

Ok, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire the power section of a little powered speaker that I'm making for a christmas present. I have a TPA3116D2 power amp that I made, a 12vdc battery charger that I also made. What I would like to do is put a switch in that cuts the battery charger out of the loop and applies the battery power to the amp, in one direction, and applies the battery charger to the battery and cuts the power amp out of the loop in the other direction. After I read what I just wrote I'm not sure if I really understand it. Anyway, I made a bad drawing of it. I'll take any ideas. Maybe a DPDT switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powered Speaker.jpg (235.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 5th November 2014, 12:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nice gift!

A SPDT switch will be adequate because the grounds of battery, amp and charger can stay connected together all the time. The battery + goes on the middle terminal of the switch, and the amp+ connects to one side and the charger+ to the other side. You may want another switch to the amp to shut off the amp even when you are not charging it. I guess you could just unplug the charger.

Get a heavy duty switch with 10A rating to ensure good current carrying ability to reduce resistance which will affect the sound quality of the amp.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Richidoo; 5th November 2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 5th November 2014, 12:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Richidoo. Also,I think I will add a switch to turn off the amp.
Old 5th November 2014, 01:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Looking at my drawing I realize that a 3 position SPDT instead of a 2 position switch will allow the center switch position to be your off switch.
Old 5th November 2014, 02:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actually, after looking through my parts bin I found this switch and thought it would work for what you suggested. It does have a center position. It's 250v 10A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Switch.jpg (187.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 5th November 2014, 03:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't a diode work just as well in either the positive or negative lead to the charger between the charger and the battery? Add the switch between the battery and the amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!