Little powered speaker wiring help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire the power section of a little powered speaker that I'm making for a christmas present. I have a TPA3116D2 power amp that I made, a 12vdc battery charger that I also made. What I would like to do is put a switch in that cuts the battery charger out of the loop and applies the battery power to the amp, in one direction, and applies the battery charger to the battery and cuts the power amp out of the loop in the other direction. After I read what I just wrote I'm not sure if I really understand it. Anyway, I made a bad drawing of it. I'll take any ideas. Maybe a DPDT switch?

Attachments

• Powered Speaker.jpg
    Powered Speaker.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 67
Nice gift!

A SPDT switch will be adequate because the grounds of battery, amp and charger can stay connected together all the time. The battery + goes on the middle terminal of the switch, and the amp+ connects to one side and the charger+ to the other side. You may want another switch to the amp to shut off the amp even when you are not charging it. I guess you could just unplug the charger.

Get a heavy duty switch with 10A rating to ensure good current carrying ability to reduce resistance which will affect the sound quality of the amp.

Powered_Speaker.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.