White glue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, it's not hot melt glue. That feels "rubbery".

Here's a photo. It's also used in between capacitors. It's very hard.
0901mainboard3.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The "white glue" used by manufacturers over the years has been the cause of countless failures of equipment in service, breaking down over time and becoming conductive. Its purpose is to relieve mechanical stress on wire joints and components.

The "white glue" used by manufacturers over the years has been the cause of countless failures of equipment in service, breaking down over time and becoming conductive.
You can not blame the glue, but the one who selected this material in a specific application.
From the other hand, stability of chemicals in high temperature it can not be easily verified by electronic products manufacturers, most of them shown blind trust to their supplier.

Its purpose is to relieve mechanical stress on wire joints and components.

Yes this is what it does, and I found lots of neoprene based adhesive, over and around of parts in my Philips crossover networks, I got identical glue chemistry and add some of it over new components.

Neoprene based adhesive or also named as benzine - Glue, seems more like as a soft silicone gel, and this makes it removal much easier.

Silicone is often used, as Mooly said its for vibration relief. It is more often used on electrolytic caps as these tend to have a large body on little legs (especially SMD caps) and when you do vibration/ballistic testing (mill/aero levels) you tip them all out of the bottom of the case because production has forgotten to silicone them.

Cheap window sealing grade silicone has tons of acetic acid as stabilizer (it starts curing when acetic acid ecaporates) which can/will chemically attack copper.

Talk about sleeping withn the enemy.

Of course a ring around a capacitor can does not do damage,but beware where it touches naked copper.

Personally I use somewhat thick toluene based neoprene adhesive (the same I use for reconing and Tolexing cabinets so I always have lots of it around) which after a couple days sticks real well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.