Hints for plexi-glass window in frontpanel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Tips for plexi-glass window in frontpanel

I like to design a professional front panel with the frontpanelexpress software to host this 2 digit 7 segments display for volume control.
Any construction tips or pictures, for a professional looking solution?
The front panel I will use is like on the picture, 10 mm brushed aluminum.

I found plexi-glass which is either transparent, green or red for this use.
But what color plexi-glass do I need, so you can not look inside the enclosure.

Thanks!

Walter

Attachments

• IMG_5570ww.jpg
    IMG_5570ww.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_5571ww.jpg
    IMG_5571ww.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I found plexi-glass which is either transparent, green or red for this use.
But what color plexi-glass do I need, so you can not look inside the enclosure.

They also have "gray" or "smoked" plexiglass. You can partially see inside, but not as "naked" as clear/transparent plexiglass.

*I thought the whole point of using plexiglass (or acrylic sheets) is so you can see the insides?

Any construction tips or pictures, for a professional looking solution?

When you cnc mill your front panel, you can cut a hole and also mill the inside face to be bigger (with same depth as the thickness of your acrylic sheet), so that your plexiglass sheet drops in flush on the inside surface. You can drop some glue on all 4 sides to keep acrylic sheet in place, and you won't have any ugly looking screws on the front panel.

On the FrontDesign software, they call this a cavity. -- make sure to specify that this is on the "reverse" side.

The plexiglass should be the same colour as the LEDs to allow the most light through, but if you can't get blue, grey will at least be neutral. Remember that it will reduce the light going into the enclosure as well as the light coming back out, so it may be more effective than you'd expect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.