Capacitor wrap cutting brief tutorial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sony, I have to nod in support. Someone may ask, "why would anyone want to do this to their caps?" And I might counter, "Why would anyone poke holes in their ears and stick metal things in them? Why would someone permanently deface their body with tattoos?" Why do women wear enough eye makeup to look like pandas? Suffice it to say they want to. I personally think it is dumb, but it isn;t my amp, eyes, or earlobes.

The tangent everyone is going on and on about with the heat... Really? Even if the effect is measurable, just what percentage of any meaningful specification would shaving off that sliver of plastic change? How many degrees warmer would the cap run? How many milliseconds would the life of the cap be shortened.

If Sony thinks this is worth doing for appearance, then what, if any, deleterious effect would it have on his amp?

Sony, I have to nod in support. Someone may ask, "why would anyone want to do this to their caps?" And I might counter, "Why would anyone poke holes in their ears and stick metal things in them? Why would someone permanently deface their body with tattoos?" Why do women wear enough eye makeup to look like pandas? Suffice it to say they want to. I personally think it is dumb, but it isn;t my amp, eyes, or earlobes.

The tangent everyone is going on and on about with the heat... Really? Even if the effect is measurable, just what percentage of any meaningful specification would shaving off that sliver of plastic change? How many degrees warmer would the cap run? How many milliseconds would the life of the cap be shortened.

If Sony thinks this is worth doing for appearance, then what, if any, deleterious effect would it have on his amp?

Thank you sir. You make my own point better than I can. There may be some performance impact, but I wouldn't make it a factor in whether or not I perform the mod.

EEEFK1A102P - PANASONIC - CAP, ALU ELEC, 1000UF, 10V, SMD | Farnell UK

SMD elec. Capacitors in all their naked glory...they are the most unreliable components on the board and without care consideration bring the MTBF figures down to silly levels, they also fall of with when vibration testing done, hense often have gunk or other form of support (same with PTH) to reduce the susceptibility to vibration.
Caps do get hot in some situations (SMPSs) the trend here is to use other types where possible or if you are serious de-rate the cap by a minimum of 50%, the shape of the cylinder that forms the cap also determine how good it is at dumping thermal energy (surface area), again though this is only a real concern in high power and power supply applications.

EEEFK1A102P - PANASONIC - CAP, ALU ELEC, 1000UF, 10V, SMD | Farnell UK

SMD elec. Capacitors in all their naked glory...they are the most unreliable components on the board and without care consideration bring the MTBF figures down to silly levels, they also fall of with when vibration testing done, hense often have gunk or other form of support (same with PTH) to reduce the susceptibility to vibration.
Caps do get hot in some situations (SMPSs) the trend here is to use other types where possible or if you are serious de-rate the cap by a minimum of 50%, the shape of the cylinder that forms the cap also determine how good it is at dumping thermal energy (surface area), again though this is only a real concern in high power and power supply applications.

I wouldn't be cutting the wrap on SMPS caps because they would be away in a metal box with the rest of it, even if it were in my amplifier's chassis.

Several of the cats in this cat and mouse game gave been helping me in a decoupling question. They're really much more informed than you give them credit for and if you think toward future questions that you might have you might also think about how respecting the knowledge they will obviously share with you might be a good thing if you want those future questions answered.
My contribution is that while reading about decoupling I ran across a paper that stated that some amp manufacturers actually intentionally heat the caps to achieve a lower ESR. Crazy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.