Replacing old nutone intercom system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've been spending some time researching what I can do with a nutone intercom system from the mid-90s. I really want to remove the giant white plastic speaker covers and console (complete with a CD player in about a 12" x 8" white panel in my kitchen).

I have no real interest in being able to speak to every one of the rooms, but i really want to preserve the ability to play music in each room of the house at the same time.

I'm not looking for anything fancy like sonos and friends, my plan involves a bluetooth enabled raspberry pi which i have set up and working using the headphone jack on the PI and connecting my phone to it via bluetooth.

There are 6 wires running to each of 8 speakers all connected to the center console and im figuring i can leverage those wires to do what i want. I want to totally remove the console in the kitchen since its ugly and huge.

On the software side im totally covered, but my audio electronics knowledge is approaching its limit. I've been reading on audio forums about people going crazy with amps and all kinds of expensive things, i'm not necessarily looking for audiophile quality. I would much prefer a simple circuit i could piece together myself to get decently loud music to just a speaker and volume knob in each room.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
- Ken

Wireless speaker systems are already available, for example:

Home Entertainment Has Never Been Better | Samsung

Or a whole selection at Best Buy:

Wireless Speakers - Best Buy

And a brand comparison:

The 10 Best Wireless Speakers | PCMag.com

Have you defined your need? I mean, if you want a project, then great. But if this is a practical thing - you want music in each room - does it matter that the music content be controlled elsewhere? In other words, a speaker on the wall with a volume control: aren't we just re-inventing the table radio? Does the music in each room have to be the same as the music in the other rooms?

Enzo,

Thanks for the quick response. I was kinda looking for a project, or at the very least understanding what would go into it.

I think what i want is to be able to connect to the raspberry pi via bluetooth from my phone and have the music playing on my phone play throughout the whole house at the same time.

Sorry if it wasn't totally clear, the 8 speakers are in all different places throughout the house (connected by 6 wires all the way to the main console in the kitchen) and i'd like to be able to control the volume in each room.

I mean my intuition is just to plug a headphone jack into the raspberry pi, and connect all the speakers directly to that. But it seems like that won't work because the signal will be too weak to each room? If thats the case i was hoping there would be some kind of simple circuit i could use to make sure the music is loud enough in each room. On top of that I'm not totally sure how the volume control on each speaker plays in to the while thing.

Thanks again,
- Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.