Mosfets for amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some FETs are better suited for switching application's, this is true.

But all FET's can be used in a analog circuit as well.

A engineer from TI explained that to me once when I asked him a similar question.

The First place to start is to learn how FET's work as compared to Bipolar Junction transistors (BJT's) and their differences.

FWIW

jer :)

hi, sorry about insist but, what i want to know is the fets that can be used in audio amps, because its not every fet that can be used for this. its because where i live have just too few mosfets for sale, and if i know wich ones can be used and how to build the amplifier i could get somewhere :p

thanks

If you replace BJT with mosfet with minor modification to get "just work" then you will conclude that mosfet is not good for audio amp.
Mosfet have different character (ex. high input impedance, high input capacitance, etc) than BJT, and the circuit/schematic to use them must optimize by its character to get low THD, high slew rate, etc.

i'm trying to build a class A amplifier mosfet. Can someone give a list o all mosfets that can be used in good amplifiers
Sorry, it does not work that way.

I found many great projecrs but i didn't found the needed fets.
That´s better.
Link some project you liked, then mabe we can suggest some replacement.

and theach how to build one from zero?
Mmmmmhhhhh, not that easy.
If inexperienced, first learn basic Electronics, how to solder, how to measure with a multimeter and start by building some simple projects.
Step by step.

EDIT: and tell us where you are from, so we can suggest suppliers.
Can you buy from EBay or USA suppliers such as Mouser or Digikey?

Last edited:
Just checked , no lateral/audio MosFets available in Brazil.
Only vertical/switching/HexFets .
But you can search for those suggested by Mooly, which are equivalent to the old Hitachi/Toshiba 2SK and buy them in USA or England with your Credit Card.
Small packages have no Customs/Alfândega problems because you pay no taxes on less than 50U$ purchases.

As a side note, just to practice, build that circuit with a *switching* type Mosfet, say an IRFP240 or 250 which costs around 6 R$ in São Paulo.
It *will* work, remember to bias it to 12V on its source with 24V power supply.
Switchers are reasonably linear at high currents and yours uses 12V into 15 ohms which is almost 1 Ampere.

Not the original but it will not sound bad.

And when you get the original MosFet, replace it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.