better than MDF?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which would likely be the case with any brand of acrylic or polyester solid surface materials. As the manufactures want to warrant the product and quality of installation, they'll require local distributors to verify that shops have certified fabricators - locally there are courses and diplomas involved. The materials do take slightly more skill, as well as specialized tooling and adhesives to work with as compared to most wood based materials.

Hmm. I had a hi-macs guy come round with all his sample book and some for me to play with.

It will cut with woodworking equipment but does require special adhesives.

Now I wonder if a Pencil design kit would sell well (with license fees or what ever is required).

Cost price 12mm white at 3mx700mm is £260 plus carriage.

Not cheap but for an 'ultimate' material isn't too bad?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not cheap but for an 'ultimate' material isn't too bad?

We've played with it, and figure you'd be further ahead with good plywood as far as (sonic) quality of box produced. It does make an nice accent piece -- we have a set of mFonken with a chunk of solid surface on the top (an easy way to get around a "not enuff veneer" situation.

dave

I was looking at alternatives to spraying curved forms and the materials costs of solid surface came close to the cost of spraying.

The thermoforming process didn't and was really prohibitive.

I still want to make some sexy white seamless cubes. Just need to wangle some more free stock.

Solid surface material can actually be joined with ordinary epoxies like West System. The edges to be joined should be lightly sanded with 80-100 grit paper. If the edges are machined accurately the resulting joint-line after sanding level is nearly invisible...not truly invisible like the Corian adhesive but quite close inspection is required. I know this because I repurposed my old Corian countertops for work surfaces in my shop and quite a few reconfigurations were required.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.