Simple easy finish for poplar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any suggestions for a simple and easy (fast) finish for poplar?

I'm not shooting for a high quality look here, just something a step up from unfinished. I really don't want to get into any sanding since I have quite a bit to do and not really a lot of time. No sprays since I need to do this indoors.

Thanks

Minwax wipe on poly. Very easy to use just follow the instructions. Make sure you dry the rags separately before throwing them out (spontaneous combustion). I'd put on at least 3 coats with a soft wood like poplar.

Bernie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 145
Water base poly is about as quick as it gets. Being able to put on another coat within an hour you can get 3-4 coats after work no problem.

Be sure to let any oil based stain dry for a couple days before you you put on water base poly. Oil and water don't mix well.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Minwax wipe on poly. Very easy to use just follow the instructions. Make sure you dry the rags separately before throwing them out (spontaneous combustion). I'd put on at least 3 coats with a soft wood like poplar.

Water base poly is about as quick as it gets. Being able to put on another coat within an hour you can get 3-4 coats after work no problem.

Be sure to let any oil based stain dry for a couple days before you you put on water base poly. Oil and water don't mix well.

Thanks, I'll probably go with a wipe on poly. I'm not going to stain it, I already looked into it and staining poplar correctly is way too much work. I was also considering just rolling on some satin enamel paint, but I'm afraid the fumes might be too extreme to handle indoors.

I suspect you'll still need to sand between coats to get a reasonably smooth finish. The first coat seals the wood and stiffens the hairy fibers so they can be sanded down. If you really want one coat and no sanding, that might be doable with a catalyzed resin.

Wipe on poly is a good choice but also consider good ol' Shellac.

This stuff. http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product...sser/interior-wood-finishes/bulls-eye-shellac. About as cheap and easy as it gets. You can also get it in an aged looking Amber to give it something a bit warmer looking than clear.

Poly is fast if you put it on thin. There is no right way with poly. Some people practically float it on, and others practically rub it in, and everything in between. Everybody has to kinda find what works for them with wipe on poly. Like spray painting you will never go wrong erring on the side of thin coats.

To apply I like a few cotton balls wrapped up in an old t-shirt. But almost anything will work. The last time I used it I used folded up paper towels.

Poplar is easy enough to finish, but even with a rigid varnish finish will always remain soft enough to dent / bruise, and the harder top coats will crack.

I rather like the latest generation of hybrid water/oil based finishes such as Saman, and unless there's a lot of textured detail such as shown in Hobber's posted photo, find a foam brush gives great control. They take about 2-3 hours drying time between coats, and many of these types DO require some light sanded between coats to ensure mechanical, rather than chemical adhesion.

Thanks for all the tips, I ended up going with a satin poly finish. I put 4 coats on with a piece of old t-shirt.

I actually ended up having to knock down the first coat with a 3M scour pad because I wasn't thinking and used blue t-shirt material that left little blue fibers all over. Probably not a bad thing that I did that though. Even after 4 coats I could tell that any more finish wouldn't do much for looks unless I got into some heavy sanding.

It's just a bed frame and looks good enough for what it is. Maybe in the future when I have more time I'll sand the whole thing down and put more finish on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.