New home audio system project - please advise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2014, 10:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New home audio system project - please advise

Hello!

This is my one of my first posts on this forum, so please be gentle if I ask some noob questions in the wrong section of this forum.

I came across this website as currently I'm at the planning stage of building the audio system that will provide the sound to 4-6 ceiling speakers located in the 3 bathrooms and a kitchen, using one zone input only. On top of that I'd like to be able to control the music from the mobile phone, and because of the number of speakers that I want to install and the fact that I already have a Sonos Play 5 speaker, a Sonos Connect seems to be the obvious choice for my needs.

So here is a very simplistic diagram of what I would like to achieve:

Click the image to open in full size.

STORAGE

I'm a big fan of tidy installations and good cable management solutions, so the plan is to get as much as I can of rack mountable equipment and install all of it in the following rack cabinet which will be located in the storage cupboard:

18u 390mm deep excel wall mounted cabinet

AMPLIFIER & SPEAKERS

From the reading that I've done so far I understand that in order to be able to drive the power to 4-6 speakers I will need an amplifier that can deliver the power into 2 Ohms - is this statement correct?
Below I attached the links to the speakers I am planning to buy (I will be looking for a waterproof option of the same type), and the amplifier that would satisfy the above criteria:

Ceiling speakers 6.5" 2-way 120W

Behringer amplifier

SPEAKER SELECTOR SWITCH WITH VOLUME CONTROL

As I'd like to split the sound to multiple rooms I am led to believe that this is the type of the component I need:

5-way Speaker Selector Switch

If possible I'd like to allow for the speaker expansion in the future, but I am unsure if the mixer/splitter below will be the right choice for me:

8-channel mixer/splitter

I've read some reviews and the users stated that if you don't use all of the outputs of the selector switch, then the sound from the speakers will not play at the right volume/quality. Can I have your expertise please?

CABLES & CONNECTORS

As I've never used the amp showed above I am a bit confused about the input & output type of connectors. I might be wrong on this one (and I probably am...), but I understand that Sonos Connect would link to this amp using RCA to TRS type of connection. This is where I get stuck. I've read that it's not recommended to connect low signal banana plugs to the high power type of connector on the amp.

Amp connectors

On top of that I am also trying to decide what wire gauge of the cable should I use to connect the speakers to the selector switch. Please advise.

Does this mean that the above amplifier is not the right choice for this setup? If not, can you recommend a rack mountable amplifier that would do the right job?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,

gierachjr
Old 18th July 2014, 12:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sound in the bathroom? I shudder to ask...
Old 18th July 2014, 08:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
Sound in the bathroom? I shudder to ask...
and the kitchen as well. Surely it can't be that unusual to have music from my favourite radio station, or NAS playing in the bathroom while I'm having a shave in the morning

Thanks for looking anyway.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The 5-way speaker selector would be inserted as your diagram and can control 5 pairs of speakers ( stereo ) its i/ps and o/ps are via banana plugs /binding posts .

The Behringer amp would accept TRS i/ps as you have suggested . Its o/ps are Speakon and you would need Speakon to banana leads to connect to the 5-way .
The Speakon connectors shroud the contacts allowing very little chance of an accidental short circuit where as the bananas are nearly the opposite and need to be handled with that in mind .

The Behringer 8 channel mixer/splitter would be fed straight from the Sonos connect and each speaker would need its own power amp/channel.

Last edited by epicyclic; 18th July 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 18th July 2014, 01:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicyclic View Post
The 5-way speaker selector would be inserted as your diagram and can control 5 pairs of speakers ( stereo ) its i/ps and o/ps are via banana plugs /binding posts .

The Behringer amp would accept TRS i/ps as you have suggested . Its o/ps are Speakon and you would need Speakon to banana leads to connect to the 5-way .
The Speakon connectors shroud the contacts allowing very little chance of an accidental short circuit where as the bananas are nearly the opposite and need to be handled with that in mind .

The Behringer 8 channel mixer/splitter would be fed straight from the Sonos connect and each speaker would need its own power amp/channel.
Thank you epicyclic for very useful post

It sounds like using a Neutrik Speakon to banana lead might end up in an expensive kit replacement task at some point. Would you recommend scrapping an idea of getting the iNuke Behringer amp, and getting a normal consumer amp with the coaxial or toslink connectors so I can easily link it up to Sonos Connect & speaker selector switch (banana - banana lead)?

All the best,

gierachjr

Last edited by gierachjr; 18th July 2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 18th July 2014, 04:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I am suggesting the banana ends are the liability with amp to speaker connections not the Speakon .
Old 18th July 2014, 04:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've done something omewhat similar in my house, 10 sets of in-ceiling speakers. At present, they're all driven by an 80watt/ch Tandberg receiver that gets signal from my living room system via line-output.

My goal is to eventually have several small amplifiers, for each pair of speakers. maybe 10 or 20 watts each. That will give me the ability to control the volume of each speaker separately.

At present, the speakers are connected in a combination of series/parallel, to give the amp a reasonable load. It's been working just fine. No mixer, no switching, just music.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You might want to look at a 70.7 constant voltage system.

Constant-Voltage Audio Distribution Systems: 25, 70.7 & 100 Volts
Old 19th July 2014, 11:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I went back and looked at your link to the speaker selector, looks like it is basically a constant voltage system in a single package with level controls, so it should work just fine.

Any amp that works into 4 or 8 ohms will work, 100 watts or so should be plenty for your application.

No need for the 8 ch mixer that I can see.
Old 20th July 2014, 08:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicyclic View Post
I am suggesting the banana ends are the liability with amp to speaker connections not the Speakon .
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Hide this!Advertise here!