pcb etching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use standard hammermill color laser gloss paper, be sure to iron on well, but don't use too much heat or pressure as this can smear the toner. I iron for probably 5-10 minutes, ensuring that I can 'see' the toner through the paper and all the toner spots are shiny from moving the iron across them. Soak in hot water, peel the first layer of paper, and gently rub the traces to remove the rest of the paper.

As for the etching, I use normal Ferric Chloride, preheat in a small sealable plastic bag till its pretty hot. I etch my boards in a bag as well, this way I can constantly be agitating and squeezing the bag to move the acid around the board. The shorter amount of time you can be in the etchant the less likely it will start to get under the toner or make your nice clean lines not so nice and clean. This usually results in a board being etched in just a few minutes. Holding the bag in your hand and constantly squeezing to move the acid around works really well for me.

Acetone removes the toner after you've finished etching.

I have not tried photo etching, I presume this would work well if you have to make more than a couple of the same board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.