Front panel lettering solutions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which (professional looking, but low cost) solutions are there for making front panel lettering/symbols? The front panel is part of a black aluminum enclosure and I want the lettering to be white.

I've read numerous postings on the subject but am confused. I understand that professional production uses silk-screen printing for this sort of thing, but for a single DIY project it's probably way too expensive. There's also "Front panel express" which is expensive, but as I understand it carves out the lettering with CNC machines which I'm not sure I like.
So what works and what doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I can probably do the drilling for pot, switch etc. cutouts myself and save that cost.

Good suggestions. I've used Letraset in the past and although it looks great if done right I found it very hard to get everything aligned properly.
Likewise, engraving seems like a great method for artwork (drawings etc.) but not "printed" lettering.

I know there's this light sensitive spray (photo resist) and if I'm not mistaken it acts like a plastic film while whatever parts are lit with UV-light disappears through a development process. I suppose you could design a layout on a computer, print it out and use it as an overlay on top of the photo-resist covered front panel, then use white spray paint to color the exposed layout design. Has anyone tried this?

Which (professional looking, but low cost) solutions are there for making front panel lettering/symbols? The front panel is part of a black aluminum enclosure and I want the lettering to be white.

I've read numerous postings on the subject but am confused. I understand that professional production uses silk-screen printing for this sort of thing, but for a single DIY project it's probably way too expensive. There's also "Front panel express" which is expensive, but as I understand it carves out the lettering with CNC machines which I'm not sure I like.
So what works and what doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I can probably do the drilling for pot, switch etc. cutouts myself and save that cost.

Are you located in the US? Friend of mine does laser marking on anodized aluminum panels for a good price. While the lettering will largely look white, it will actually be the silver of the aluminum underneath. What the laser does is just vaporize the dye that's used to make the panel black.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.