Enclosure building specific techniques for general cabinetmaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some not so wonderful snaps of the Tannoys - building takes longer, but might just be easier than getting good photos - the last one is for sense of scale - this is about the smallest box into which one would want to put the Tannoy Dual Monitor Gold 12s

Attachments

• IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 236
The most important thing in cabinet building is accuracy.
Badly fitting panels look terrible.

While I have a circular saw I always get my DIY store to cut the wood to the correct widths then I cut down later to right length. This means when they get glued they are all the right widths and there are no gaps. Then when I fit last panel there are big gaps to fill with glue.
Be as accurate with cutting as possible. Measure twice and cut once.

The most important thing in cabinet building is accuracy.
Badly fitting panels look terrible.

While I have a circular saw I always get my DIY store to cut the wood to the correct widths then I cut down later to right length. This means when they get glued they are all the right widths and there are no gaps. Then when I fit last panel there are big gaps to fill with glue.
Be as accurate with cutting as possible. Measure twice and cut once.

Thanks Nigel.

Most of the wood is already cut so there is no going back and redoing that now. If I was going to have someone else cut, I would use a CNC service. I learned some things on the first pair of subs that I will apply to the next pairs.

Next time when I use the cut sheet program I will definitely put a larger kerf space inbetween pieces so I have excess I can trim and I'll probably use a router table for the trimming to keep the right angles at the edges perfect.

My plan has been to hold off on the gluing everything together phase of assembly, until after I am absolutely sure all the parts will fit together properly. That is where the screws come in. Before I glue everything my plan had been to assemble the cabinets with a couple of precisely located screws then if any parts needed massaging to fit properly I could take my time to do it carefully instead of frantically rushing to make things fit before the glue dries.

I already know there may be a couple of pieces that may need a millimeter sanded off where they come together so the top panel will sit flush across them.

Once I am sure everything will play nice I will disassemble the screws then glue and reassemble. Then I'll use the screws to help align the panels in lieu of using alignment dowels if I can get away with it, because I don't want to have to buy another tool, otherwise I'll use alignment dowels.

That is why I was wondering if people have any preferences with screws. The wood I am using is 18mm thick marine grade Russian Birch. I am planning to use screws that aren't threaded at the top as I understand full length threads can interfere with clamping two panels together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.