Need filler for letters punched in wood - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2014, 02:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need filler for letters punched in wood

Anybody use punch sets to letter wooden chassis? Recommend a filler that remains after wiping and dries hard?
Old 10th March 2014, 01:34 PM   #2
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

A punch on wood?

I've used acrylic paint and wax on plastic and metal projects. Ink is sometimes used, but that's probably too thin for wood. Used an automotive paint touch up pen once (on plastic).

I'd probably go for medium thick acrylic paint. Apply w/ a tooth pick, to fill the letters. Dry. Apply again to be sure it's flush or a bit over filled when dry. Let it dry completely (up to a couple days). Then sand away the excess.
I'd be afraid wax would sink into the grain, and not accept your final finish.

--I did a quick search and acrylic is not compatible w/ an alcohol based top coat, as it may dissolve the acrylic. Anything else (water or oil based) should be fine.

Last edited by wicked1; 10th March 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10th March 2014, 01:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You could use epoxy mixed with wood dust, metal dust, marble dust or something else.
I haven`t tried it with punched letters, but it works fine with carved letters.
Whatever you use for a filler make sure that you seal the wood first.
Old 10th March 2014, 02:47 PM   #4
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

you can use wood filler. comes in many colors to match different woods and goes on like putty. once hardened, sand off the excess and you should be left with a nice flat filled letter. post in construction tips and you might get more responses.
Old 10th March 2014, 04:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have used a mixture of Tip-Ex correcting fluid with an xylene based conformal coating for vintage Bakelite front panels and it has worked well for me.
The correcting fluid is too powdery on its own and the conformal coating makes it more durable and tames down the brightness of the bright white of the fluid.
I used a tooth pick to apply it as others have done here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7780.JPG (79.7 KB, 106 views)
Old 21st March 2014, 05:56 AM   #6
LazyH is offline LazyH  United States
diyAudio Member

Something else that might be good to try, placing a wet rag over the wood for about a half hour then using a clothes iron through the cloth, expands all sorts of dents and punches in wood, let it dry then sand and fill if needed, it'll make the filling less noticeable even if it won't completely remove the punches in the wood.
Old 21st March 2014, 09:35 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I note the question has yet to be asked as to intended finish after the "repair"

If there's any depth to pores of wood grain, it could be very trick to fill just the punched letters, and to get a deadly match on color of fill if attempting to retain close to original finish.

If it's solid wood and thick enough to permit doing so, I'd be inclined to plane / sand down to slightly below the level of impressions (to avoid telegraphing the stress on fibers from the punching) and refinish.

On the other hand, if to be painted over, then any decent resin bondo type product, and a few coats of high solids primer and then your color & top coats, and you'll be good as new.
Old 21st March 2014, 10:12 PM   #8
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I used a standard steel stamp set and heated them with a torch.
Then I stamped the wood and it burned the lettering in.
Once you apply your finish it will be permanent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chassis Rear.jpg (316.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 21st March 2014, 11:39 PM   #9
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

epoxy glue and sanding might make the letters look smooth
Old 22nd March 2014, 02:49 AM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

See #7 above - in my opinion the desired final finish( not yet specified?) will dictate the approach & materials used.

Hide this!Advertise here!