Novel PCB Construction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2014, 02:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Novel PCB Construction

Today I saw a circuit module of unusual construction.
pcb.gif
The method was similar to the above pic, with a 0.8mm copper base plate, and a paper thin fibreglass smd loaded pcb bonded to the upper surface of the copper base plate.
I have seen similar modules previously, but the novel (to me) feature is that vias were drilled right through the copper base plate, forming circuit ground connections to an effectively infinite system earth.

This module method also allows very effective thermal management.
A Peltier module connected directly to the module, or via a heatpipe, would allow controlled and equal temperature of all module circuit elements/components.

Pre-preamps, preamps and power amp input/driver stages would likely benefit by this technique.

Dan.

Deliberately varying operation temperature of circuits could be the new audio 'tweak'.
Old 6th March 2014, 02:48 PM   #2
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok for simple circuits, used often for LED based. The trick is to lay out the pre-amp or DAC circuit single sided with only GND on the bottom side, similar to this DAC design I am playing with. This is single sided apart for all signals, the only vias being GND ones (ignore the far end I'm still playing, in fact I have several versions).
You can have more layers but have to use HDI interconnection to get the heat sinking benefit, main use though is simple circuits, sensors etc, and with the Au clad boards LED circuits.

For real thermal control heat pipes are the best, you can get integrated heat pipe assemblies, though theses can get rather expensive for custom ones.

Some cool ideas here:
http://www.bergquistcompany.com/pdfs/LED_496KB.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ESS_DAC_V1_VANILLA-08.pdf (102.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by marce; 6th March 2014 at 03:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!