Novel PCB Construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I saw a circuit module of unusual construction.
pcb.gif
The method was similar to the above pic, with a 0.8mm copper base plate, and a paper thin fibreglass smd loaded pcb bonded to the upper surface of the copper base plate.
I have seen similar modules previously, but the novel (to me) feature is that vias were drilled right through the copper base plate, forming circuit ground connections to an effectively infinite system earth.

This module method also allows very effective thermal management.
A Peltier module connected directly to the module, or via a heatpipe, would allow controlled and equal temperature of all module circuit elements/components.

Pre-preamps, preamps and power amp input/driver stages would likely benefit by this technique.

Dan.

Deliberately varying operation temperature of circuits could be the new audio 'tweak'.

Ok for simple circuits, used often for LED based. The trick is to lay out the pre-amp or DAC circuit single sided with only GND on the bottom side, similar to this DAC design I am playing with. This is single sided apart for all signals, the only vias being GND ones (ignore the far end I'm still playing, in fact I have several versions).
You can have more layers but have to use HDI interconnection to get the heat sinking benefit, main use though is simple circuits, sensors etc, and with the Au clad boards LED circuits.

For real thermal control heat pipes are the best, you can get integrated heat pipe assemblies, though theses can get rather expensive for custom ones.

Some cool ideas here:
http://www.bergquistcompany.com/pdfs/LED_496KB.pdf

Attachments

• ESS_DAC_V1_VANILLA-08.pdf
    102.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.