Painting ATC SCM50 Clones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

I was wandering if anyone had any tips on painiting MDF speaker cambinets? I was hoping to paint them white then commission an artist to paint a design on them. Basically I was hoping for advice on a decent white base coat? What should I use to seal the absorbant cut edges on the mdf?

Thanks

Attachments

• WP_001164.jpg
    WP_001164.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 156
If you are serious about getting an artist to work on them, do you have anything in mind? I don't do it anymore but I used to airbrush just about anything and everything; if you are looking into having someone airbrush them then your choices are very limited as far as what you can use to prep them!

If you were to get them airbrushed, I'd expect any competent artist to be able to take them from bare MDF to final finish, taking you out of the loop.

that note aside, MDF is laborious to paint as the end-grain soaks up paint like a sponge. 2k high-build primers are ideal as they chemically harden instead of 'drying' and produce a very workable finish quite quickly. There will be work between applications though.

What kind of area do you have to work in?

Rick

Unless you're going for a very rustic painted look, the photo suggests these are a long way from being ready for seal & prep work - i.e. bondo or other fill on seams, flush sanding, and at least minimal breaking of 90dg edges to ensure durability of finish.

As RBC noted above, a decent paint finish on MDF is a royal laborious pain in the arm - even with power sander. Lots of coats of filler, primer, sanding, repeat, etc. - the subject has been covered extensively - search "painting MDF" and take a bathroom break before sifting through the results

I rarely use MDF myself, and with whichever material, avoid painting all but base plinths and vent walls whenever possible. At the end of the day, veneering and a clear top coat will take less time and likely cost less .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.