diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Construction Tips (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/)
-   -   Chassis Lettering - What works? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/251451-chassis-lettering-what-works.html)

vdi_nenna 18th February 2014 04:33 PM

Chassis Lettering - What works?

Hi Everyone,

Aside from using a permanent marker to label audio functions on a chassis, what have you tried?

I tried the following:

- Laser toner transfer from photo paper, like PCB trace. Not dependable, uneven transfer.

- Laser toner transfer from paper. Doesn't transfer.

- Laser toner transfer from paper via acetone. Works, but can smear very easily.

I might resort to this: ALPHABET LETTER METAL PUNCH STAMP SET - Highlands Upper Case x 2mm - Sunsetcrystals

Was looking at decals, but haven't seen many that were clear backing or that can be done with a mono laser printer.

Dry rub-on, then painting with a sealer would be nice, but can' find dry rub-on letters any more.

Please share your successful chassis lettering techniques here!

Thanks,

Vince

kuroguy 18th February 2014 05:33 PM

you might look into a K&E Leroy set.

Bob Richards 18th February 2014 05:41 PM

I've been using the dry transfer rub on letters for decades. They are getting hard to find, but if you Google "dry transfer lettering" you may eventually find them somewhere. I spray mat finish clear over them to keep them in place.

vdi_nenna 18th February 2014 06:34 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Frank Berry 18th February 2014 07:06 PM

I've used Front Panel Express to create panels and labels. Quality is great.
Front Panel Express:*Front Panel Design Software and CAD Conversion Service

KatieandDad 18th February 2014 07:29 PM

Have you tried photo etching. It is possible to buy iron on photo resist film and then etch the panel much as you would a PCB.

chienmort 18th February 2014 07:48 PM

Laser decals can be bought from Make your own decals using laser water-slide decal paper. in the UK but I think they will ship overseas too,

grimberg 18th February 2014 08:08 PM

A few months ago I was looking for dry transfer letters and found this web site:

Make Your Own Dry Transfer Decals and Instant Printed Circuit Boards!

It appears to be a legitimate company since Mouser and Digikey carry their products. I am planning to try it next time a place an order with either company, but it might take another 3 months or so for me to finish my current project.
If you decide to try it, please share your results.

marcelop 18th February 2014 08:10 PM

I was going to try the laser printer heat transfer and etch but you say it didnīt work unfortunately. What metal were you transfering to? I read glossy paper transfers the ink better, also you should use highest quality printing setting so the printer uses more ink, did you try this?

vdi_nenna 18th February 2014 08:29 PM

K&D- I thought of that, but unsure about how accurate I can make it.

chiemort- not sure about this method. It's basically a sticker.

grimberg- this looks promising.

marcelop- I was trying to transfer to brushed aluminum. Worked great on copper. Made the Zen 9 boards with the laser toner to photo paper to copper blank PCB.
I tried with 1200 dpi. The max on my laser printer.

I was going to try to use parchment paper cut to 8.5x11 inches. See if the toner is released easier. I would try wax paper, but afraid it might melt in the fuser. :eek:

Thanks,

Vince