Chassis Lettering - What works?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Everyone,

Aside from using a permanent marker to label audio functions on a chassis, what have you tried?

I tried the following:

- Laser toner transfer from photo paper, like PCB trace. Not dependable, uneven transfer.

- Laser toner transfer from paper. Doesn't transfer.

- Laser toner transfer from paper via acetone. Works, but can smear very easily.

I might resort to this: ALPHABET LETTER METAL PUNCH STAMP SET - Highlands Upper Case x 2mm - Sunsetcrystals

Was looking at decals, but haven't seen many that were clear backing or that can be done with a mono laser printer.

Dry rub-on, then painting with a sealer would be nice, but can' find dry rub-on letters any more.

Please share your successful chassis lettering techniques here!

Thanks,

Vince

A few months ago I was looking for dry transfer letters and found this web site:

Make Your Own Dry Transfer Decals and Instant Printed Circuit Boards!

It appears to be a legitimate company since Mouser and Digikey carry their products. I am planning to try it next time a place an order with either company, but it might take another 3 months or so for me to finish my current project.
If you decide to try it, please share your results.

I was going to try the laser printer heat transfer and etch but you say it didn´t work unfortunately. What metal were you transfering to? I read glossy paper transfers the ink better, also you should use highest quality printing setting so the printer uses more ink, did you try this?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
K&D- I thought of that, but unsure about how accurate I can make it.

chiemort- not sure about this method. It's basically a sticker.

grimberg- this looks promising.

marcelop- I was trying to transfer to brushed aluminum. Worked great on copper. Made the Zen 9 boards with the laser toner to photo paper to copper blank PCB.
I tried with 1200 dpi. The max on my laser printer.

I was going to try to use parchment paper cut to 8.5x11 inches. See if the toner is released easier. I would try wax paper, but afraid it might melt in the fuser. :eek:

Thanks,

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hey,
I too have looked at this subject previously. Try searching "letraset" on google. Its a dry rub on transfer which i found still available fairly cheap in the uk on fleabay.
I have used this and if you want i can provide photos of the amplifier i tried it on.

I just ordered the wet decal sheets, but would like to see your work. I think this one aspect of chassis builds thats missing. Not everyone can afford or wants laser ethching. Most of the gear I built is in fact built and I'm not taking it apart to have it professionally labeled. Seeing other people's work is inspirational. Post your pics here. :)

Vince

I had Sign-a-rama print my design on to a sticker than I then applied to my chassis:
mc1-example.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.