Home Brew PCBs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2014, 10:11 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Anyone watching this topic will realise that I have several experiments going on at the same time. I'm just waiting for the post to catch up with my ordering to progress each one.

I've found that my Epson R800 will quite happily print onto copper, or any flat board for that matter.

What I need now is some kind of water soluble primer to coat the copper board with so that the ink will stick and not run.

On the net I have read that a weak gelatine solution might work.

It has to produce a starch like film on the surface of the copper that will absorb the ink but also must be able to be washed off to revel the copper to be etched.

The primer that has absorbed the waterproof pigment needs to remain.

Seems like an impossible quandary.
Old 11th February 2014, 10:34 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

How about PVA, wood glue?
Old 11th February 2014, 11:42 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

A possibility, I don't think it is porous though, in fact isn't it the opposite ?

I've just tried Dylon starch spray. It layers on the starch too thick so you have to wipe most of it off but the ink did stick to it without running.

OK, I didn't leave it to fully dry as I'm only experimenting but the pigment and the starch washed off under a running tap.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 11th February 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11th February 2014, 12:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Your etching solution is aqueous and I'd expect it to wash off your ink 'resist' if you prime your boards with something water soluble. Simple surface roughening with steel wool isn't enough to keep the ink on the board?
Old 11th February 2014, 12:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Would machinists ink work? It's a coloured ink that's sprayed onto metal surfaces. It goes on very evenly from a spray can however it must be available just in its raw state. If that could be printed onto a PCB via a print head and it wasn't soluble in the etch you would have a viable printing system. After etching you would just clean off the inked areas with a solvent. Machinists ink dries very quickly when sprayed.
Old 11th February 2014, 12:37 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

There is an etch resistant ink but it seems impossible to get in small quantities. I chased it on the internet and I can get 250mL for 200.
Old 11th February 2014, 12:38 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuetemann View Post
Your etching solution is aqueous and I'd expect it to wash off your ink 'resist' if you prime your boards with something water soluble. Simple surface roughening with steel wool isn't enough to keep the ink on the board?
Unfortunately not, the ink just flows down the grooves caused by roughening the surface.
Old 15th February 2014, 11:39 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well the sublimination process was a failure.

The board would need to be painted with a polymer adhesion promoter which in its own right then waterproofs the board against the etchant.

I am making progress however with a more opaque image for conventional photo boarding.
Old 15th February 2014, 11:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absconditus View Post
150 pounds????????????? Surely not. There are a few companies doing PCB pooling, outsourcing manufacture and then mailing the cut-outs to the individual customers. Last year, I had four boards (all the same and 50 by 75 mm) done for $40 Australian.
There is a fellow from Romania (I think) who advertises cheap boards on the forum. I think he is "msdesigner".

Abs
But, what if he doesn't want cheap boards, but high quality instead? I used Pad2Pad and typically pay $110 or so for 6-8 boards, depending on size. These are double sided, 1oz copper, full solder mask, through plated holes and silk screened. I don't think it's terribly expensive for the quality I get.
Old 16th February 2014, 05:21 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

150 - YES !!!

The company that I use is in America. The cost for 2 x boards (their minimum) is approximately 80. Then add P&P and Handling - approximately 30. Then the criminal bit is UPS then add a further UK handling charge of approximately 30 which includes Import Tax.

I appreciate there are cheaper options but these guys are VERY quick, I usually get the boards two to three days after ordering.

Hide this!Advertise here!