Discarded Veneer, Will Paint and "Varnish" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2014, 02:08 PM   #1
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Default Discarded Veneer, Will Paint and "Varnish"

I was going to use veneer in a speaker project, but I have discarded using veneer, and will paint. I want to mimic or get close to a piano finish, or at least a high gloss finish. The enclosures are MDF that has not been primed or painted. Few questions?

1. Should I sand with 180 Grit and apply primer? Or just sanding will do?
2. Will use a water based paint Any paint "model" recommendations from Home Depot or PPG (Pittsburgh)?
3. I will give no more than 3 coats. Can I use something easy to work with like Shellac, or will Water Based Polyurethane be easier to work with?
4. For the paint I will use a foam roller, but for the clear coat, should I use a foam roller or simply a good quality brush?
5. For sanding the clear coat, should I use 220 Grit between coats and between 330 and 400 Grit for last coat?
Old 1st February 2014, 05:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Since I was going to the hardware store and Home Depot, I decided to read as much as I can. I ended up buying Behr Acrylic Latex Paint and Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer Gloss. I will paint in a few minutes, then let dry (88 Deg. F Today and Sunny) a few hours, then light sand, apply a second coat of paint, then let dry for a few days, and then apply three coats of lacquer, wet-sanding the last coat with 320 Grit and 400 Grit sand paper. I will only sand if there are brush marks, if not, as recommended by Minwax, I will leave as is.
Old 1st February 2014, 07:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check out Shinobiwan's "a how to for high gloss finish" thread. Really good info. I suggest you read up before proceeding. It really helped my understanding of the proper proceedure. Here is a picture of my studio monitors, they have 6 coats of primer and 9 coats of automotive paint (not laquer.. the other type, cant remember right now) but the cabinets still need to go thru a final 4 step sanding/polishing process.
Heres the link→https://db.tt/XEziFpgK

Last edited by Top Shelf; 1st February 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:41 AM   #4
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

There is a long thread here that covered the piano finish.

Might want to read?

_-_-bear
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
There is a long thread here that covered the piano finish.

Might want to read?

_-_-bear
Appreciate it...Would be nice if in the future you could include the thread address or the title, so I can refer to it. Anyways, thanks to Top Shelf I was able to find a few threads addressing the subject, and been hard at reading about it. I will go the lacquer route, and post how they look.
Old 3rd February 2014, 09:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is a pic of the rear of one of my studio monitors after wet sanding with 3M 1000 grit for 5 minutes
https://db.tt/Ag44G1DF . And this is another after using Turtle wax polishing compound for about 5 minutes→ https://db.tt/ybpfMWbz.
Of course I still need to get a finer polishing compound but the T.W. stuff works good and is $5 a jar. Oh yeah I remembered I used acrylic enamel spraybombs to paint my cabinets. About 10 cans @ $6 a can.
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:00 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

good luck getting anywhere near close to a piano / high gloss finish with only 2 or 3 coats, or in less elapsed time and expense* than veneering and oil /varnish/ sprayed or lacquered finish

* I assume that the manner in which the question is parsed that you don't have the experience or supplies required to achieve the quality of finish you're hoping to achieve - it's not as simple as you think
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
good luck getting anywhere near close to a piano / high gloss finish with only 2 or 3 coats, or in less elapsed time and expense* than veneering and oil /varnish/ sprayed or lacquered finish

* I assume that the manner in which the question is parsed that you don't have the experience or supplies required to achieve the quality of finish you're hoping to achieve - it's not as simple as you think
I've never thought that it is simple, I am trying to make it simple, but in my heart know that it is not. Supplies I have plenty, if not I can just go and buy what is needed. Funds is not a problem, but as Project Mgr, and Director of Operations that I have been most of my life, I like to budget and stick to it as much as possible; it is my nature. Aware that 2-3 coats might not be sufficient, just being lazy, because I don't have much time. But, at the same time, like to learn and appreciate your responses. The problem with the veneer I have is that it is pieces, and I would have to match the pieces (not very difficult). The biggest veneering problem I have is being able to make seamless joints in the same plane.
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:49 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

actually, I should apologize for the snarky attitude - good luck with the painting, and keep us updated
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
actually, I should apologize for the snarky attitude - good luck with the painting, and keep us updated
Don't worry, sometimes I also get frustrated by some posts. If you want to see how they came out, check the TABAQ For Tang Band thread. I am using them until the paint cures more, so I can start to lacquer.

Hide this!Advertise here!