How to seal gaps is wood?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! I don't have a table saw, and I don't like doing long cuts with my circular saw because they are not the straightest. So, last time I gave the lumber store a list of cuts I wanted from a 4' x 8' panel of 1/2" MDF. Most of the cuts are straight and to the dims I gave him, except one. Because of that I have a horizontal gap between the base of the speaker enclosure I'm building, and the bottom part of the back. The gap is 4" wide by approx. 1/8" tall. The speakers will be veneered or painted, don't know yet, most probably veneered.

Here are my questions:

1. If I use veneer to cover the speaker cabinet, should I just seal the gap with silicone or should I use 2-Part epoxy? I will use an iron to apply the veneer.

2. If I paint, should I use 2-Part epoxy or wood filler? Being such a large gap I don't think wood filler will work well.

What are your recommendation?

simply glue some wood, thick veneer, or something, in the place where some is missing
and then 'recut', or whatever you can manage

if already assembled, I would suggest to try and make some venner fit, to be pushed in the gap with glue
could even be small bits, one by one

Being a begginer at this I had already assembled, but I believe I can cut a piece with my miter saw and make it fit...Thanks!

:up:

not sure how much is missing
just remember such pieces of wood sometimes breaks easily

btw, a sharp knife can be a very good tool ;)

Thanks! I measured the gap, and it was 1/16" (2 mm) on one end and 1/8" (3 mm) on the other end. So, I cut a piece of 1/2" thick (13 mm) panel with those dims x 4" long (102 mm). Then I "painted" the cavity and piece of wood with glue and inserted it, it was a perfect fit and I had to tap it with a plastic mallet for it to go in. Problem solved...:)

Bondo....

Knew this solution, and totally forgot about it. I didn't feel like going to Home Depot and paying $25.00 for Bondo, when I can buy it at almost half price from the local auto bodyshop supplies store. Hopefully I won't forget next time...Thanks!

There are different types of epoxies

Bondo type auto body fillers are specifically engineered to be sanded / shaped - when mixed in proper hardener ratio and properly cured, clogging is far less of an issue. Wurth is a particularly finely textured and smooth filler.

epoxy/sawdust is much harder to sand than wood glue/sawdust. the epoxy softens up under the heat and clogs the sandpaper.

There are different types of epoxies

Bondo type auto body fillers are specifically engineered to be sanded / shaped - when mixed in proper hardener ratio and properly cured, clogging is far less of an issue. Wurth is a particularly finely textured and smooth filler.

I am certified in installing FRP pipe and doing FRP structural work, so I know epoxy and the different kind. Bondo is a very good solution, but there are a lot of epoxys that can be used. In my home I use one sold at the hardware store, even at Walgreens or CVS that is "brownish", it comes in a two-part syringe and it is easy to mix, no need to measure. This one is very strong and easy to sand, will not clog the sandpaper. But, Bondo is still easier to work with.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
constructing a new bass box right now
and had a few like this one
for strongest possible result I decided to glue the wood plugs with 2-component epoxy

Attachments

• IMG_1153 25.jpg
    IMG_1153 25.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 124
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.