Recommended Wire and Gauge DIY Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a pair of DIY TABAQ speakers with 3" Tang Band W3-881SI drivers. The lenght of cable needed to connect the driver to the terminal posts is approx. 36" in length. I was planning on using 18 AWG wire, I have some solid silver bare wire in 18 AWG that was left over from some DIY interconnects I built. I know the wire is probably more expensive than the whole project, but I have it on hand.

What wire gauge would you recommend for this project? Will using solid pure silver wire make the driver sound brighter?

We have slowly evolved to use a par of 24g solid core wires from a chunk of CAT5/6 network cable. Preferred is with teflon insulation (plenum grade).

dave

Thanks for your recommendation, I have plenty Cat5 cable in my garage.

Use Ohms Law. It has provided the world with virtually all of modern technology.

Thanks...very familiar with Ohms Law, what Ohms Law or any other law will not tell me is what can I expect as far as sound is concerned. Maybe, someone here has done some experimentation and measurements using copper wire and pure silver wire.

depends on amp, speakers, taste. If you want solid bass usually thicker wire.

A softer, rounded, "rolling bass" with less damping, thinner wire. A thin wire with a SS amp will act as a resistor and sound more like a tube amp.

Thanks for your advise...These speakers (classic TABAQ build with TB W3-881SI driver) will be used mainly with a T-Amp, Dayton DTA-1, but until I build another speaker I'm designing from scratch, the TABAQ's will be used in my main system: McIntosh MX-113 SS Preamp/Tuner, Conrad Johnson MV-75A with EH KT-90's (plenty bass), slightly modded Rega P2 with Grado Gold, and Jolida CD Player.

DF better than about 20 gets you well into the land of diminishing returns, so for an 8 ohm speaker that means total resistance less than 0.4R. Allow half of this for the amplifier output impedance so that leaves 0.2R for the wiring. Assume 75% from external wires and 25% from internal wires. So the internal wiring (including any crossover inductor to the bass) should be less than 0.05R. In reality you can probably double these figures and get a DF of 10 without actually noticing much change.

This was a back-of-envelope calculation so factors of 2 may be included/omitted to taste.

To each Engineer his own specialty will look simpler than others.

Totalmente de acuerdo!!! My specialty is steam and fluid systems. Though only 3 yrs in college, I have been designing, consulting, and selling to pharmaceutical, power, biotech, agricultural, utilities, and chemical industry since 19 yrs old, until three years ago (I'm 44); a commercial developer these days. Electrical or sound not my cup of tea, but that is why I got you guys as consultants...:D

Turn in your silver at the pawn shop and use the money for something that matters. Inside the box? Yea 24 Ga is fine. I prefer stranded. (phone cord) My powered subs? Well OK, I have 12 Ga stranded there.

After years of experimenting, I find I use either old stranded copper 300 Ohm twin-lead or 16 Ga zip for my external speaker wires. Money saved on snake oil is better spent on better drivers and crossovers. You get real improvement going to the 12Ga 3mH coil from the 18 Ga.

Geek, I don't pay for snake oil, I build my own cables. I got the pure silver wire wire for free, I made a pair of RCA interconnects that sound very nice. The only thing I paid for was teflon cover for the wire that I purchased on EBay, it was cheap. Anyways, I will use some Cat5 that I have at home.

each separate pair should have ~110ohms characteristic impedance.

But bundle 8pairs in various combinations and that characteristic impedance will probably change. In particular the capacitance from all the signal cores to all the return cores will increase substantially.

Will the change in inductance and the change in resistance also change to hold the characteristic impedance as a fixed constant?
Note that Marce was not sure about predicting combined impedance when responding a few posts back in that other Thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.