Recommended Wire and Gauge DIY Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2014, 01:34 AM   #1
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Default Recommended Wire and Gauge DIY Speakers

I'm building a pair of DIY TABAQ speakers with 3" Tang Band W3-881SI drivers. The lenght of cable needed to connect the driver to the terminal posts is approx. 36" in length. I was planning on using 18 AWG wire, I have some solid silver bare wire in 18 AWG that was left over from some DIY interconnects I built. I know the wire is probably more expensive than the whole project, but I have it on hand.

What wire gauge would you recommend for this project? Will using solid pure silver wire make the driver sound brighter?
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:24 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We have slowly evolved to use a par of 24g solid core wires from a chunk of CAT5/6 network cable. Preferred is with teflon insulation (plenum grade).

dave
Old 22nd January 2014, 06:23 AM   #3
Banned

Use Ohms Law. It has provided the world with virtually all of modern technology.
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
We have slowly evolved to use a par of 24g solid core wires from a chunk of CAT5/6 network cable. Preferred is with teflon insulation (plenum grade).

dave
Thanks for your recommendation, I have plenty Cat5 cable in my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absconditus View Post
Use Ohms Law. It has provided the world with virtually all of modern technology.
Thanks...very familiar with Ohms Law, what Ohms Law or any other law will not tell me is what can I expect as far as sound is concerned. Maybe, someone here has done some experimentation and measurements using copper wire and pure silver wire.
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:55 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Use 20A mains cable. It is thick enough to give a nice feeling, and cheap enough not to notice the cost.
Old 22nd January 2014, 01:30 PM   #6
mor2bz is offline mor2bz  United States
diyAudio Member

depends on amp, speakers, taste. If you want solid bass usually thicker wire.

A softer, rounded, "rolling bass" with less damping, thinner wire. A thin wire with a SS amp will act as a resistor and sound more like a tube amp.
Old 22nd January 2014, 07:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor2bz View Post
depends on amp, speakers, taste. If you want solid bass usually thicker wire.

A softer, rounded, "rolling bass" with less damping, thinner wire. A thin wire with a SS amp will act as a resistor and sound more like a tube amp.
Thanks for your advise...These speakers (classic TABAQ build with TB W3-881SI driver) will be used mainly with a T-Amp, Dayton DTA-1, but until I build another speaker I'm designing from scratch, the TABAQ's will be used in my main system: McIntosh MX-113 SS Preamp/Tuner, Conrad Johnson MV-75A with EH KT-90's (plenty bass), slightly modded Rega P2 with Grado Gold, and Jolida CD Player.
Old 22nd January 2014, 07:50 PM   #8
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

1m 18 AWG has around 0.02 ohms, - 1m 6 mm2, a typical monster cable ( lower case m :-) ) has around 0.002 ohms....
A simple and rough calc should give an idea of impact on damping factor or total impedance.....
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:01 PM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

DF better than about 20 gets you well into the land of diminishing returns, so for an 8 ohm speaker that means total resistance less than 0.4R. Allow half of this for the amplifier output impedance so that leaves 0.2R for the wiring. Assume 75% from external wires and 25% from internal wires. So the internal wiring (including any crossover inductor to the bass) should be less than 0.05R. In reality you can probably double these figures and get a DF of 10 without actually noticing much change.

This was a back-of-envelope calculation so factors of 2 may be included/omitted to taste.
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Reading your posts is like going back to engineering school for me (mechanical engineer, but never finished my bachelors)! Thanks so much for the information.

Hide this!Advertise here!