Recommended Wire and Gauge DIY Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what you show applies to one cable, usually a cable pair or a coax pair (core+screen)

but when you parallel multi strands, the capacitance must change.

Looks like that must be my first experiment. Confirm that a twisted pair is different from a star quad.

Last edited:
Characteristic impedance calculations demands the use of at least fractions of a wavelength, which for 20kHz is in the order of 10-15 km, ( choose your own Er ).
For lengths in the order of a handful of meters, only the discrete value of capacitance is of importance.... maybe also some inductaance, but this value will be rather smallish...

The RF characteristic impedance sets the C and L, which remain valid for audio frequencies even though the characteristic impedance changes due to the dominance of copper R. The RF characteristic impedance usually holds true from some kHz upwards - exactly where depends mainly on cable resistance.

As I said, if the cable has the same defined impedance for each pair and the same velocity for each pair then the C and L must be the same for each pair. This of course assumes normal use, where the pairs carry independent signals. It may be that the velocity varies somewhat over a short length, but averages to the same figure over a long length.

You are right, of course, in the sense that f does not play part in the equations for char. impedance, hence the classical definition of 600 ohms audio lines, but on short lengths like this, it has no meanig as such. 1/10th of a wavelength used to be the classical limit. Common mode conditions and all that is of course still valid.

Cat 5 some specs:
DC RESISTANCE
The resistance of any conductor shall not exceed 28.6 Ohms per 1000 ft at or corrected to
a temperature of 200 C.
DC RESISTANCE UNABALANCE
The resistance unbalance between the two conductors of any pair shall not exceed 5%
when measured at or corrected to a temperature of 200 C.
MUTAL CAPACITANCE
The mutual capacitance of any pair at 1 kHz, measured in accordance with ASTM D 4566 is
not to exceed 5.6 nf per 100 m at or corrected to a temperature of 200 C.
CHARACTERISTIC IMPEDANCE*
The cable shall have a characteristic impedance of 100 Ohms? 15% for frequencies from 1
MHz to 100 MHz.
NEAR END CROSSTALK (NEXT)
Maximum values permitted for NEXT (rounded to the nearest dB) are listed in table 4 :

* PCB traces to the transformer and then to the connector should be laid out with a differential impedance of 100Ohms.
Should read 20 deg C didn't copy very well.

Last edited:
18AWG AC line cord bought at any hardware store (very cheap) will sound just as good as any other wire. Silver is technically lower resistance than any other metal, but the difference is miniscule. The only real issue is the quality of the connectors. I use gold alloy plated banana connectors, and solder the wire at each end, rather than depending on those little screws to stay tight over time (they don't).

As discussed in another thread.
Yet more Stephen Lampen Belden blog pages.

"Twisting the Night Away - Part 1"
Posted by: Steve Lampen on January 17, 2013

f you've ever played around with Category cables, such as Category 5, 5e, 6 or 6A, you might have noticed that the pairs in these cables are very precisely twisted. And, if you've got good eyes and look closely, you'll notice that the four pairs inside these cables are all twisted differently. The length of the twist is called the "lay length" so each pair has a different lay length. How we twist them, and how we decide what they lay length each pair should have is an interesting story.

Twisting the Night Away - Part 1

Kevin - how significant an effect could those differences in lay length be expected (or have been modeled / tested) to have on audio frequencies when used at the short lengths we're generally talking about here?

I mean, of all the things to be obsessed over in an audio system, if short lengths / single pair of strands are employed in a low powered FR speaker, should using 2 feet of the brown pair on one channel, and blue on the other be high on that list?

By how much before it's audible or even measurable at audio frequencies is my question.

Does that mean that if we cut off soldered wires when swapping out drivers that we need to measure / correct to the mm the remaining wires to each pass-band's driver in all enclosures?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
By how much before it's audible or even measurable at audio frequencies is my question.

Small and probably not audible, but it is at least tidy to keep them the same colour.

Does that mean that if we cut off soldered wires when swapping out drivers that we need to measure / correct to the mm the remaining wires to each pass-band's driver in all enclosures?

When i am doing that i do make sure each pair is shortened the same.

dave

Kevin - how significant an effect could those differences in lay length be expected (or have been modeled / tested) to have on audio frequencies when used at the short lengths we're generally talking about here?

In general, reasonable differences in length of any type of speaker cable are not audible. And in this case the differences are much shorter the reasonable.

I mean, of all the things to be obsessed over in an audio system, if short lengths / single pair of strands are employed in a low powered FR speaker, should using 2 feet of the brown pair on one channel, and blue on the other be high on that list?
What's a "FR" speaker?
Why would low powered speakers use smaller wires than high powered speakers? It's the end-to-end resistance that matters.

chrisb said:
Unless the wires are very thin (high resistance) or very widely spaced (high inductance), matching to with a metre or so will do. That assumes, of course, that the wires understand and obey the laws of physics. If you have wires produced by alien technology or snake-oil merchants then much closer matching may be needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.