Max torque for M4 bolt into 8mm Aluminium

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suggest you follow the manufacturer's recommended mounting torque for the specific device you are using. The information can be found on the device's data sheet, as the example linked below:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/94391/70tpspbf.pdf

Look for "Mounting torque" on page 3.

If the data sheet of your device does not have that information, look for the manufacturer's publication containing the guidelines for device handling, lead forming and mounting.

thanks!

The particular devices are 2SK1530/J201 and do not have mounting info so thanks for the link.

Andrew E: Well spotted! I've taken the standard M3 mounting hole out to M4. :)

So you think the torque will be governed by the device and not the tap?

Last edited:
Tapping treads directly in alu can be a problem - use lots of cutting oil.
Screws and bolts also have a tendency to 'weld' themselves in alu. Using helicoils or similar inserts is recommeded if screws are to be removed several times....

These are the products I use to deal with the issues you mentioned. Tap Magic is great for lubricating while tapping.

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

During assembly, I dip screws in this product to avoid seizing.

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

Using a clamping bar usually gets a more effective heat transfer.
Then you can use two M3.5, or two M4, or two M5, instead of one offset M3.5

Thanks Andrew. I may try that. Rod Elliot suggested a U shaped Ali bar.

I find mounting the power devices one of the more frustrating parts of prototyping hence why I'm going to try taps. I'm over nuts blu tacked to the end of a screwdriver :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.