Repurposing some old Pioneer enclosures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day folks. A couple questions.

I have a pair of old Pioneer speaker cabs that are from one of the all in one setups. Not sure of the model number, but they measure 36"T x 15"W x 15" D. Made out of some kind of cheap fiber board.

I'd like to use them as test boxes so I can figure out a setup for a pair of Magnavox 12" woofers and horns as well as Foster 10" woofers. I'd like to leave the box basically stock, but I need to get rid of the baffle so I can replace it with a test unit. The cabinets are made almost like a one piece thing, but I know that is not the case because of some supports built into the boxes.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the baffle off without destroying the rest of the box. I have materials for a new build, but want to test my ideas before using my good materials. Do you think I can just cut out the existing baffles and insert my own? I'm not sure about how far from the front edges would be far enough to keep the boxes rigid, kind of, so I can brace the heck out of the new baffles. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks sreten, I think I'll do as you suggest. I think leaving a 2" "border" around the edges should be enough. That sound about right?

I plan to put the Foster 10_ woofer at the bottom in it's own vented box, and the magnavox 12" speakers at the top in a semi-open backed box. The horns will be on their own mounting brackets and stacked on top. I hope it works the way I have it envisioned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.