Precautions for handling MOSFET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased the Nelson Pass designed amp kit and have been able to proceed with the build quite nicely even though I am new to the game. I have reached the stage requiring the installation of the transistors and the MOSFET's. What precautions should I be taking in order to prevent damage from static electricity during the installation? How should I implement those precautions? Thanks in advance.

Mark

This may sound funny - but I spray a little water on my self , my clothes , surrounding(NOT the solder station or other similar sensitive stuff) with using common salon/garden variety spray to increase humidity levels & reduce static.

Last edited:
The Forum stated a long while back that the high capacitance of the gate Pin to everything else protected the Gate from excessive voltage.
This seems to have applied to all the high power mosFETs that I have handled, tested and installed. None has ever been damaged by static.

However, low power and very low power mosFETs do not have such high capacitance.
So far having worked with a few 500mW to 10W devices, I have not damaged any. Was it luck?

jFETS seem to be impervious to mis-handling.

Your clothes coming in contact with certain chair fabrics can also create static build up as well.
I have gotten into the habit of grounding myself whenever I sit back down in my work chair, before I touch anything else. If you have a grounding point close by, it is easy to do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.